1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10.5hp B&S Downeaster Sander *charging system*

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ballandchain91, Oct 24, 2014.

1. ballandchain91

ballandchain91 Member

Hey guys i got the sander going after an overhaul with new bearings seals and a little freeing of the track. Put a new motor on the sander its a 10.5hp BS.

Anybody have experience with the charging system on these motors? I want it to correctly keep the charge in my battery for the sander you know…

Someone know a little more than me? Its got a red wire on the side regulator and there is power from this but i assume its for lights. Thank you

I've tried searching for my answer btw.

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

The red wire is the charging wire. It goes to the battery side of the starter solenoid.

3. ballandchain91

ballandchain91 Member

That simple I guess. Thank you for the reply. While I'm here can't hurt to ask, would you know how many volts it should put out to charge?

I tested it it's 14v , sound right? I would think that's pretty strong to keep charging...but it's new to me. Thanks again

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

13.5-14.5 is a safe range. Same as any 12 volt charging system on a small engine.