1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10.5' Snow Pushers on 2wd backhoes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnoJob67, Aug 14, 2002.

1. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I am thinking of equipping three, 2wd backhoes with 10.5 foot snow pushers. I would like feedback from someone who has used 2wd backhoes for snow removal (even stacking). I realize that proper ice control measures would affect performance, but wonder if I would be making a mistake using 2wd backhoes although they are available from subs at a reasonable rate?

Would even a small 10.5' pusher be twice as productive as a pickup truck with 8' straight blade? If it would be comparable to a pickup in production, I could save money by paying for a truck and not having to buy boxes for the backhoes.

I have read mixed reviews in past Plowsite threads discussing 2wd loaders and backhoes. I am just wondering if a flatlander, such as myself, could get away with 2wd hoes under most conditions. We generally have 1-3" events, rarely have heavy events as a rule.
  2. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

The 2wd backhoe will work with even a 12 or 14ft low pro style pusher.Check the big 4 suplliers ,protec,rcs,avalanche and storm i believe make these versions.
    Taconic Maintenance
    John Parker
  3. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. I just got off the phone with ProTech. I spoke to the gentleman who posts here under the same name.

He recommended that with a 2wd I stick with the 10'. Have you (or your subs) used the 12' and 14' backhoe models on 2wds succcessfully? I'd love to go with the 12' model, but don't know if taking a smaller bite in heavier storms would work if that wqas necessary. It seems if we had heavy, wet, snow and had to take 3/4 of a push, the hoe would have a tendency to be pushed to one side from uneven weight distribution of the load being pushed? Are my concerns unfounded?

From reading the forum I know you have lots of experience with pushers (or at least subs using pushers), so I am not trying to question your knowledge by any means, just making sure if I bought 12' models for 2wds that I would not be making a mistake.

From what I'm gathering, it sounds like under my conditions, you feel a 12' model would not be overdoing it?

Again, thanks for the response. I don't want my being so inquisitive to be mistaken for being argumentive. :)
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

SnoJob, for what it's worth, last year I had a sub with an old (1975 I think) John Deere 710 2wd hoe. He was pushing a 16' loader model Pro Tech with no problems (BIG lot, 3" of snow, presalted). The reason being is that was the pusher I had on site. In another storm, he was pushing a backhoe model 14' pusher, again with no trouble, and that site was sloped. Keep in mind that the 710 is a HUGE hoe compared to others. Weight has a lot to do with the pushing ability. Parked next to a Case 590 4wd the JD looked like a giant.

5. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like ProTech is conservative with their ratings, as they should be. I may consider going with the 12' pushers despite their recommendations. Everything we do is flat. Any property that would justify the use of the backhoe/pusher combination would have at least one such dedicated unit, so having to push heavy loads of snow is not likely.

Also, it is unlikely we will have any of the lighter (newer) 2wd hoes, anyway. I know one hoe is a 1976 with only 1400 hours on it. I have seen it before but didn't pay much attention. Now that he is a potential sub, I wish I had paid more attention. It is a big machine, though. Just like with 2wd trucks, weight is what gets those around fine in the snow. Better than a 4wd without proper ballast.

I look at it like this: What would perform better, a 12' pusher in 1-6' snowfalls or a 10' pusher in 6-12" snowfalls. It seems that if a 10' backhoe/pusher combination would work in 8-12" snows, a 12' combination would suffice in most any storm I would encounter in my area, assuming I don't overbook the pushers. My plan is to give each unit three hours worth of work, so that even at snowfall rates of 2" per hour, the machines would only have to push up to 6" of snow. We haven't had storms like that since 1979 for the most part.

If anyone sees major flaws with my logic, speak up. My business is riding on it.:eek:
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2002