1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10-16 Agrimaxx Live Edge

Discussion in 'METAL PLESS Snow Plows / Wing Plows / Box Plows' started by NLS1, Feb 18, 2015.

1. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Well, now that I have had some time with this new setup, just wanted to chime in.

Where to start...
    First of all Paul Vanderzon is the coolest dude around, putting up with all my worrying, questions, changing my mind, my crazy bank, etc...

So Paul, a huge THANK YOU!

Next, this thing is a monster, has to be like 3000 pounds for the blade and mount. Its no 7.5ft western straight blade....

It saves me so much salt it's in the thousands saved on the locations where it sits so far this year.

One of the customers finally saw it a few weeks ago, and came over to the tractor and climbed in... he said, "man this thing is impressive!". I said "nothing but the best for you Pat." We won't fall behind, even with the biggest storms, and it does such a nice job and is so much faster...

I have not been able to get enough snow in front of this blade/tractor yet to slow it down. Literally. Not a big winter, but with one of the sites it all gets pushed out into main aisles and pushed to one end over a hill. Some of the piles are impressive. What used to be virtually impossible with a Kage on a skid steer is now three passes with giant snow piles and right up over the curb and down the hill.

What used to take 3-5 hours each site with a skid steer and 10' Kage, is now down to 1-1.5 hours each.

It is actually so much faster that I can justify roading this machine to some other sites several miles away during non peak times, just to get a better result and save salt. In fact on 3 of those sites, the increased speed over my 5500/8611 combo more than makes up the extra drive time to get there. In one of those, it is a very tight one acre site with islands, back dragging, etc. that normally take me 45 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes with my 5500/8611. Last time I took the tractor up there it took me 15 minutes to plow. Good grief, and it wasn't hard on the tractor like the truck. Another one acre site takes me about 25 minutes with the truck...10 with the tractor. Another almost 2 acre site takes 1hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes with the truck....35 minutes with the tractor.

All while scraping so much better and causing no wear on the tractor. Read, zero abuse to machine....

Backdragging is super fast. On the main loading dock area for example, 1 acre, with 9 doors, 11 loading areas, about 50 concrete filled poles, dumpsters, steps, all pushed up hill into the middle.... used to take about 45 minutes with a skid and 10' Kage, and could barely do it with a big snow. Now it is 10-15 minutes with no drama. Total game changer.

The tractor is super fuel efficient. Over 5 fill ups now, it averages 2.05-2.1 gallons of diesel per hour plowing.

The tractor is super quiet, comfortable, warm, and very easy to see. Much better HVAC system than the last M135. I can see all parts of the plow at all times from the cab. It allows me to get very close to things without risking oops-ing it. Although there were two times I forgot just how big 16.5" is as I was backing up and nearly wiped out an entire state. :)

The cost is incredible. $110k for the tractor, loader setup, all options, and the plow and hoses/fittings. I expect it should last 15 years, and at the rate of income in the winter it will pay for itself many times over and still be valuable when I go to sell it. Although for my little company it is substantial cost especially this first year.

I could not be happier, truly the ultimate plowing machine that I have ever used. Loaders with Protechs, skids with Kages and buckets or regular blades, trucks and blades, all take a far back seat to this. I hope to add more as we add more accounts. In fact, what I thought would be max for this machine on a short time frame, about 8 acres of really complex sites, turned out to only be about half capacity... So I could easily add another decent site or two nearby without needing to add another machine.

Well, thats the novel. This tractor, with this blade is the most fun plowing I have had in years.

A few crappy cell phone pictures to follow with captions.

Dan

2. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Here is the first picture of it after the install was done.

Done by me, with about a grand in hoses and fittings.

live edge1.jpg

3. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Here we had a day that was -10 F. About 1/4"-3/8". Because it was so cold I ran the tractor up to scrape as much as possible to help the salt work.

What I figured would be almost nothing turned into a decent little pile. Would have done virtually nothing with a regular blade.

Notice the third picture, the part I scraped with the Live Edge on the left, no salt yet, and the city truck plow scraped on the right and salted.

live edge3.jpg

live edge4.jpg

live edge5.jpg

4. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

These show one of my sites that same day that was -10F.
    live edge7.jpg

live edge8.jpg

And the competitors high end mall two blocks over

live edge7.jpg

live edge8.jpg

live edge6.jpg

5. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

This is a 2014 Kubota M135GXDTC 24 speed by the way with Metal Pless AgriMaxx 10-16 LiveEdge.

Dan

6. strokerpuller

strokerpuller Member

How did you set up your controls?

7. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Loader controls for the up and down and angle, and then the two remotes control each wing.

I really like the controls and it is easy and fast to use. No wires which I like. Although it is a lot of hoses.

8. LuckyPlower

LuckyPlower Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I too have a 5 ton/8611 set up. I've been looking at a similar set up.

9. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Super Jealous!!

10. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

looks awesome, How come u went with a tractor instead of a wheel loader? Pricing ? Just curious was is more comfortable in and operating , the tractor or loader? What did the blade cost?

11. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Tractor for me was just kinda what worked out. Looked at telehandlers, but very limited use besides plowing for me. Huge money but not as much use. Loaders have no other use for me besides snow and huge money. Loaders are fine and have their place. I have used them with great effect but for me the tractor was a better machine. Tractors are designed to push and pull their whole lives until their tires spin with no real trouble. Loaders dont have that design feature. They are meant for loading a bucket and then under lighter load carrying and dumping. Often when pushing heavy snow loads in a loader, you just wind up in first gear going really slow. Where with a tractor you can select the gear and upshift on the move.

Cost was originally a factor but after looking at a machine that would do what I needed to do I threw cost out the window and bought what I needed. There was too much snow to plow and too much revenue on the line to have the wrong machine or to drop the ball with a used machine of questionable reliability or size. Remember we are a small business and my reputation for quality work is what counts.

This tractor definitely was not cheap. My familiarity with tractors from my last one was the clincher. I knew how capable they are and figured with a way better blade this time, and filled tires I would have a real bull dozer. It really is. Anyone not using a tractor for serious snow work is missing out in my opinion. Light use is fine for skids and if you need to load trucks then a loader might be better. But with my loader arms and snow bucket, and a blower which I will buy this summer again, I can stack 50' high anywhere I want. This I know from my experience with our last M135 and two different blowers. Nothing like a blower on a tractor for stacking! And for plowing this is the best I have used for sure. No skid steer or loader would be as suited to what I need currently.

Tractors are awesome for visibility and great comfort too. T shirt, radio, heater, and I can see every corner of the machine and plow at all times. Tons of lights and lots of glass and a quiet cab make it a joy while I float on my air ride seat.

Tractor and loader/snow bucket with filled tires and some other options was around $86k. Plow pricing you should get from Paul as he may have a dealer that could get you a better price if they are a volume dealer. I bought it direct since Paul knew me and metal pless was willing to do that. I looked around for a dealer to work with, but the only dealer I had to use was a pain the behind. He was trying to talk me into another brand, and had to ask me to give him the contact info for metal pless!.... And he was the dealer...... Ugh. Typical uniformed and snooty dealer that figures I owe him the business. He didn't want to do any leg work or sell me what I really wanted because he wasn't familiar with it at all. I don't think he had even sold one and was already trying to talk me into a blizzard 8611. Been there done that.... Never again would I waste my money by putting a light weight blade like a blizzard on a heavy tractor like that. Waste of tractor and a pop can blade are a bad combo. I had had a bad experience with them earlier too, and figured fool my once shame on them, fool me twice shame on me.

Well that was a novel and my eyes are blurry. Yikes

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, and I hope this is helpful for anyone thinking down the same lines.

Dan

12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Awesome machine, I have a m110gx with a 10-16 live edge and absolutely love it too

13. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Yeah man! What a great setup isn't it?!

These bigger frame kubotas are such a great value. Can hardly believe how much better the cab is now too on the GX series from the x we had before.

Combined with that live edge blade you must be loving it!

Good for you.

Dan