1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$10.00 a bag salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Ipushsnow, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Stopped by the local True Value Hardware Store to pick something up and almost shi* my pants when walking in. Sign taped on the front door says "50# rock salt- $10.00 per bag". And low and behold there are about 6 people in line with bags of salt! I was thinking of opening a corner stand and selling the rest of my inventory if it's going for that much! payup

2. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I picked up some bags of 80lb rock salt today at Menard's for 6.47 a bag. Those little store always have higher prices on things it seems. I guess that would have to do with buying less quantity's.

3. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Heck I'm buying my salt for 5.00 a bag. Ten is a bit ridiculous!

4. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Same here

I was in 5 different stores, and they all were selling out of salt, at 9.99 a bag, I was thinking of backing up my truck and selling it from there, there were people waiting for them to bring more.

5. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I've seen it even a little higher in some stores around me...

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The hardware stores ALWAYS have a huge price on their stuff like that. that is like buying it from a gas station. I think they get around 5 or 6 bucks for the 25 lb. bags. we have a large chain of franchised hardware stores around here (Gillroys) that are "DoItBest" stores. they buy their salt from our supplier Chemco, and make a KILLING on markup.

7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

True Value here is selling #50 Ice Eraser for $20 and i get it for $10....i thinking of selling bulk salt and ice melt next year

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Most retailers sell small products like that for double what they pay for it. I would not sell any of my supply for less than 10.00 a bag. It's been hard to locate this year. I ended up telling my customers the price would follow the market. The more I have to pay, the more I will be charging.

9. Bigmikesseasonal

Bigmikesseasonal Member

5 years ago we got $25.00 per bag 1-5, 5-10 $20.00, 10 or more $15.00 80lb bags were approx. $3.25 each I wouldn't wast my time doing all that work hauling, loading, and speading for $ 10.00 just my 2 cents! Good luck to you if you can make a profit that way!

10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i think we were talking about retail sales, sometimes i don't make sense