1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1 Ton

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jglandscaping, Sep 18, 2005.

1. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Is a 8ft plow good enough for a 1 ton dump? (dually). I found a dealer that will throw one in(brand new fisher MMII) for very cheap ($2000) with a new dump truck and Id use it on my 2500hd and also the dump. I just want to know if the 8ft blade will clear the wheel path of a dually?
    Thanks
    James

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

No, it won't clear at full angle.

I'd go a minimum of 8.5' and most likely a 9'

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Put a set of pro wings on that 8' plow. Then you will be wide enough.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I have to agree.

5. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

you have a dually you could get an 9ft plow or the blizzard 810 witch goes from 8ft to 10ft that would work. :waving:

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Must every thread turn into a Blizzard Commercial?? :rolleyes:

7. jglandscaping

Im a fisher guy, sorry. :salute:
    Thanks
    James

8. lumps

lumps Senior Member

also note that he said he could get a new fisher 8' thrown in for $2k. it's not a matter of what plow to get, but whether the plow they're gonna throw in will work.

imo, get that and some wings, as was suggested above.

9. SnowGuy73

Just get the wings, you can get a good set for under $200

10. jglandscaping

Is it easy to see out of a 1 ton? I do mostly residential. I already have 2 pickups and the dump is an addition to the landscaping part of the business. I can only run two trucks at once. Am I safe to run one pick up and the dump without having to worry about one of my guys being able to see well or just run 2 pickups?
    Thanks
    James

11. SnowGuy73

Are you talking for backing up, or what? A one ton dump is just a pickup cab with a dump box on it.

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, but a 1T dump is very restrictive with regard to rear visibility. Your back window is basically useless as is your rearview mirror. You need to TOTALLY depend and trust your side mirrors. If this is all you've been used to, then it'll be fine, but if your coming from a pickup truck, its like writing with your left hand (if your right handed)!

13. Adironscapes

Adironscapes Junior Member

Take the cab protector off and also take the tail gate off. They are easy enough to put back on if needed.

14. jglandscaping

Im left handed :yow!:

15. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

Hire a truck driver .We are used to not seeing out rear window and know how to judge with mirrors only.

16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Everyone should learn to back up without looking over their shoulder. It's a good skill to have.

Yes, rearward visibility is poor. Not all bulkhead/cab protectors are removable--mine isn't. Taking the tailgate off helps, but only if you aren't carrying anything thru the entire winter.

I would suggest practicing while the weather is decent with some cones etc. to simulate parked cars and try weaseling in and out in reverse. You'll need to learn to trust your mirrors!

17. jglandscaping

Im really good with my mirrors, the truck would be used by one of my guys, I am at school and I hired my dad to plow with my 1/2 ton pick up and I am hopefully buying a 1 ton so I can hire a second guy (already lined up) so I can pretty much double my route from last year payup . The guy that will be running the one ton is very trustworthy and I hope I can pull of buying it. Im gonna need it in the spring so I might aswell buy it now so I dont have to pay taxes on that money :realmad:
    Thanks
    James

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Really makes one wonder, doesn't it?

19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Unless that guy you're linine up to hire has significant experiance driving a 1 tom dump don't do it! Learning how to drive a blinde vehicle like that while plowing snow in residential driveways is a very bad combination. The potential for property damage to the customers and your truck is very high. I learned to plow in a 1 ton dump with an 8 footer, but in commercial lots then progressed to drives after 2 years of driving the truck.

Would the 8 footer work, yes. Will it work optimially- no. For the cost/value issue add wings and be careful, there are many stories on this board of those wings folding back for no good reason and an inexperianced driver will only add to that risk.

Most headache rack/cab protectors on quality dump bodies are welded on- hence not removable. The standard mirrors are probabily worthless for plowing too. Mine are Jr west coast style- totally useless for all driving with my dump.

Driving a dump dually in resi plowing is hard enough with experiance as many driveways are simply not large enough for that size truck to be effective- a pickup would be a better plow truck.

Why not take the dump top school and have the 2 employees use the pickups when that arrises if you have you're heart set on the dump.

20. jglandscaping

That is what Im thinking now. Thanks for your advice guys.
    James