1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1 ton question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by seabeetough, Oct 23, 2003.

1. seabeetough

seabeetough Junior Member

Ok, I just converted from a 79 F150 to an 85 Chevy and Im still trying to figure things out. The truck I got has 1 ton axles or at least there 8 lug Im thinking 1 ton. The front is missing the short axle. The one going to the pass side wheel. My question is would it be easier to just by a whole new axle or replace the one thats missing. The guy a got it from started to redo the bearings and never put them back in so I have to do that to. Can anyone tell me a good site to find parts. I know Ford site but not Chevy.

Thanks for the help

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

If it's a true one ton it will have a Dana 60.If it's just a 3/4 ton,it will be a corporate 10 bolt.You need to determine this before you go parts shopping so you get the right stuff.

I think by 85,most of the 3/4 tons had only semi-floating rears,and one tons got the full floater.If you have a full floater (large hubs sticking out of the rim on the rear),then you most likely have a one ton with a Dana 60 front axle.

You should be able to get all your parts from any good driveline shop or 4X4 shop.You may evenbe able to find some used stuff in the wrecking yards.

3. seabeetough

Yes its the front axle. Its the short one going to the passenger side. I tried to post a picture but cant get it small enough. Does it matter what gears I have if I was to buy just the shaft? Im a take off and put on machanic not a technical one... And when I go to buy new bearings and hubs how do I know which to get. These may be stupid questions but I really dont want to spend alot and then have to do it again later...

Thanks alot for the help

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

The short outer shaft,from the u-joint to the hub is called a stub shaft.the other piece is an inner axle shaft.You will need to know exactly which front diff you have to order parts.It will be either a 10 bolt (1/2 or 3/4 ton axle),or a D60 (1 ton axle).

If it's a D60,it should have "60" or 60F" cast into one of the gussets on either side of the diff cover,or beside it.You canalso measure the total height of the center section,it should be 12" from top to bottom,measured at the center of the diff cover.A 10 bolt corporate diff will only measure 10 1/2".

Gear ratio isn't important to order a shaft.

If you can find out what diff you have,I'll see if I can dig up some part #'s for ya.

5. seabeetough

Thanks wyldman

Thanks alot for the help. Im going to look tomorrow afternoon to see whats stamped on it.

Thanks again I need all the info I can get.

Chuck

6. MSC

MSC Member

You most likely have a Dana 44 front axle. As far as the rear axle,
    it could be as Wyldman said. The stub shafts are the same for the 44 and 60 front axles.
    Hope this helps.

Rich

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

The shafts are not the same.The D60 uses a much beefier shaft,and a bigger u-joint.

8. seabeetough

Where would I look to find the numbers. I just went out there but its to dark and gitting kind of chilly:D

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Should be cast into the center section,front side,beside the cover.It may be pretty rusty and hard to see.They are usually cast in an raised,so if you feel a bump,scrape it off and check underneath it.

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can also look at the shape of the cover.The 10 bolt is pretty much just round,the D60 is a little more octagonal.D60's alos have king pins instead of ball joints.Post a few pics of it,or mail them to me,so I can identify it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  11. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Here's a Dana 44. The same place on this that there is the 44 cast into it, there would be a 60 cast into it, if it was a Dana 60.

~Chuck

dana44a.jpg

12. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

The easiest way if you don't know about axles is a Dana 60 will have 3 u-bolts the 10 bolt will have 4

13. seabeetough

Mine is more round then that picture above. Also i did find numbers on it. It has an N then under it has 458858 also has 10 bolts. I did take a picture but cant get it to post so if anyone wants to see it please feel free to ask. I did find out that its the right axle and the outer shaft that I need along with the u-joint and bearings. Does anyone know of a place that I can get these at a reasnable price?

Thanks for all the help.

14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

That sounds like a Corp. 10 bolt to me.You can send the picture to me, if yYou'd like, I'd be happy to resize it. I'll PM my email address to you.

15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Posting picture for seabeetough

His front axle:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  16. seabeetough

Thanks

Thanks alot bowtie, Do you have any idea what I have here?

17. seabeetough

Ok by reading over what everyone has said and looking at pictures. I think its a corp 44. there isnt a stamp on the lower corner with a number on it, there is a couple different numbers on the back but of course I didnt right them down. How do i tell if its a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? It has 8 lugs does that make a difference? Yes I have no clue on what Im dealing with here. So anything helps.

Thanks alot for all the info that eveyone has given.

Chuck

18. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Actuallyit looks like a corp 10 bolt axel from americal axel corp. Not a dana axel. GM switched from dana for front axels on 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks in the mid 70's and completely stopped using them by 1980. The only diff between the 1/2 and 3/4 is 6 or 8 lug hubs.
    Dino

19. seabeetough

Thanks Snowking

I do have another question. Saying its a Corp Axle. When I look for bearing and hubs what would I ask for?

20. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

year make and model, they will ahve the parts, timkens or the like
    Dino