1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1 ton plow driver pay rate?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bullit340, Nov 9, 2011.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

I am sure this has been discussed before at some point, and I also realize that this is completely regional. In my area of Mass cdl guys are getting $25+ hr for the bigger trucks. What would you guys consider a fair hourly wage to plow a 1 ton dump and do some shoveling as well? Commercial lot with lots of scraping. Does $20/hr seem too high or low?
  2. dan6399

dan6399 Member

Im paying my drivers anywhere from $17-25 depending on experience and how much plowing/shoveling they will be doing. Im also in Mass.
  3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

In my area between $10-17/hr is common.
  4. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I've got a set of apartments that is 3 stories with open stairs/breezeways.
    The snow can't be thrown over the edge from the top story..... too much danger of hitting some one.
    So it must be moved down the stairs. By the time they get to the bottom....... its a huge stack.
    Especially when its real wet like our last one.

I give them $20 on this job because its so much work. I bring in extra help just for this job.

The rest of the time my shovel man gets his regular hrly rate. He spends half or more of his time riding in the truck.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you keep him busy with 40 hours all season? Or do you only use him when it snows? And you expect him to work every storm, no exceptions?
  6. creek1

creek1 Junior Member
    from Iowa

I pay shovel and blower guys $15 an hour, truck drivers $20 and loader operators $25. In the grand scheme of things it is worth it to be able to rely on them all to show up at 2 in the morning and go 10 hours straight and then come back out to clean up the following day as needed.
  7. R.G.PEEL

R.G.PEEL 2000 Club Member
    from Toronto

My guys get their regular $ 22- $30/hr for the hours they work. Theres a 100 hour guarantee. I don't usually have 40 hrs/week for them in the winter, but we try to find the odd project here and there to keep them busy.
  8. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

Thanks for the feedback. I would rather 17 or so but I don't really have a problem with the $20/hr. I realize the hard work and wear and tear thats involved. I just have been using loader operators for the last few years and I have been doing the truck work myself, so I was wondering what the market was for the plow end of things.

The challenge is getting them to understand that its on the books. There are so many guys around here that collect in the winter and plow for cash. Like everything in Mass unemployment insurance is not too well run. If you are collecting you are only allowed to work so many hours before it effects your weekly rate. When you report your earnings they seem to always mess up the paper work and it turns into a mess. Mass should set up a system that makes it easy for seasonal workers to report legit income without it becoming a mess. Especially plowing income.
  9. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Im paying an experienced,reliable, driver $25 to operate my dump/9' plow.