1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1 ton legal weight??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by cmo18, Nov 26, 2012.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I just bought a 1 ton truck and am curious to what I'm legally allowed to haul with it?

The reason I ask is because i was leaving our local pit and saw a 1 ton pulled over and up on scales. It has a load of crushed stone but it didnt look over weight.

I can fit almost 6 ton in our dump bed of fill, but dont know what I'm allowed to carry.

I'm also considering going to pick up my own salt this year out of the mine with the 1 ton and a dump trailer but will be passing 2 scales on the highway. Do you stop at the scales?

If I can fit 5 yard in the dump bed, and 5 yards in the trailer, thats 10 ton=22000lbs
  2. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Member

There should be a sticker on the inside of the drivers door frame the says Max GVWR. That's the total weight (vehicle+load). Take that number and subtract your tare/unladen weight. ( Here in NY it's on the Vehicle Title not sure about where you are.)

That will give you around what you can legally carry but don't forget about the weight of fuel, tools, yourself and whatever stuff you carry around in the truck.

Bottom line just don't exceed the number on the door frame and make sure the truck is registered for that amount if you are going to come close.
  3. fozzy

fozzy Member

what he said.
  4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

The GVWR include a trailer as well?

I registered the truck the other day and the lady only registered it as 2983kg which seems low to me, that doesnt mean it can only weight that much?
  5. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

The gvwr on the inside door says 12,500 lbs, so the cab and chassis weights 6500lbs I can only haul 6000lbs on the truck?

What about a trailer?
  6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know about where you are, but where I am you are overweight when you exceed the amount you're registered for...and you're not supposed to register it for any more than the manufacturer's GVWR. You've registered it for 6,576lbs, which means you're overweight just driving it unless you weigh 76 pounds or less. You should go back and have it adjusted to register at 5670kg (12,500lbs).

GVWR covers the vehicle without a trailer. Add a trailer and you're limited by GCWR instead. That should be on the same label as GVWR.

FYI you're also supposed to load appropriately to avoid exceeding your GAWRs.
  7. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

u have to subtract the weight of the dump bed also its easier to just have the truck weighed emty and subtract it from the gvw and that is what u can carry. I am guessing around 2-3 ton legal
  8. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Member

You can register the truck for less if you are not going to use the vehicle to its max potential. (The more weight the more registration fees). If the DOT is that heavy in your area you should definitely get it registered for what your hauling. The fine here is a buck a pound over. It will add up quick.

The trailer you would do the same as the truck. There should be a tag on the tongue or axles that lists the Max GVWR.

In NY any combination vehicle (truck and trailer) over 26,000 lbs needs a CDL A. Probably very similar in Canada. But you should be safe.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  9. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Member

That's correct leave yourself some wiggle room for misc weight (stuff in cab and aftermarket stuff on the truck, etc...) if you know your going through inspection.
  10. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Good catch, I didn't even notice he said 6500 for the cab & chassis, I read 6500 for the truck. The dump bed probably eats half of the capacity...

When it's all said and done, the fully loaded, fueled, and occupied truck can't get on a scale weighing more than its registration weight nor its GVWR. It's currently being driven around overweight just with the bed on.
  11. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Member

What kind of truck is it? I guess you should go have it weighed empty to figure this out.
  12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Very confusing math and info going on here.What EXACTLY is this truck?
  13. Black01Z

Black01Z Member
    from VT

If the door sticker determines legal weight, than my truck is illegal everyday before i even get in it.
  14. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

2007 dodge ram 3500, 11ft dump bed.

I went on a scale the other day at 4000kg empty, the lady at the dmv office registered it at 2983kg cab and chassis with a max gvwr of 4500 kgs. She didnt know what she was doing, because she looked in a book and said she would use this weight (2983 kg). I have a 3/4ton registered at 3098kg!

The door sticker says GVWR of 5682kg (12,500lbs) for the 1 ton.

I wonder if I can change the GVWR on the registration to what it says on the door without change the empty weight?

If not, my 1 ton can only carry 1600kg? 4000kg empty, max GVWR is 5682
  15. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Member

Looks like DMV messed up. You can haul 1682kg (3,708 lbs, 1.85 Ton).

Maybe take a picture of the sticker on the door and bring it in to the DMV so they can get it right. Your numbers look good though. If there is a discrepancy with unladen weight you should bring a weight slip to DMV too.

Have them register:

Gross Weight-5682kg
  16. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Will I benefit changing the regis?

Or will it only increase my registration fee?

I suppose the way it is now at 2983, max 4500. I weight in at 4000kg empty so I can only haul 500kg.

Whats the story with a trailer. If the truck is 12,500 lbs full the trailer can be up to 13,500 for a total of 26,000lbs??

This is disappointing because the truck can easily haul 4-5tons no problem without even flexing. No point in purchasing a 1 ton to haul heavy I guess, only upside is hauling mulch or grass clippings
  17. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Member

You have to change it in order to be legal.The cop will go by the number on the reg not the door if the two numbers are not the same. We deal with the same stuff in the US too, the government sucks. I would go to the DMV and explain how their employee did not registered correct to begin with, maybe a supervisor can cut you a break on a fee but customer service seems to lack at DMVs.

The price is going to be small compared to how much you will be raped when they write you a ticket.
  18. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Member

No you have to figure the same for the trailer as the truck. GVWR minus Unladen Weight.
  19. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

but won't the tongue weight be added to the vehicle? 14000# dump trailer loader will have about 2000# tongue weight almost all your trucks capacity.
  20. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

No it wont. Most hitches aren't even rated for that kind of weight.