1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1 ton dump vs 3/4 pickup

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Four Seasons, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

Just wondering what everyones preferences are for plowing driveways and private roads. I notice the bigger guys more often are using 1 ton dumps. SRW pickups would be easier but the beds bumpers and tail lights can get beat up pretty easily.

2. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

We do our commercial properties with 1ton dumps with blizzard plows and the residential with a 3/4 ton with a hiniker c-plow. Its a great system for us.

3. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

WTF would you want a dump truck for doing resi driveways if you had a choice?? 100% SRW 3/4 or one ton SRW. I have a hard enough time geting my F350 pickup around in the city, absolutely forget about it with a dually dump.

4. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

Im not in a city but driveways can still be tight no matter what so I know what you mean. Ive been thinking about putting a flatbed on my 2500 instead

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Most guys that run dumps already have and need dumps for purposes other than plowing. Buying a dump strictly for plowing isn't too common. Visibility from in the cab is a huge factor, not to mention duallies get terrible traction in comparison.

6. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

I plow with 3 3/4 ton pickups and one 1-ton dump. I can do everything with the dump that the guys do with the regular pickup, just you have to be a little more cautious and pay attention to what your going and what is going on around you.

7. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

I worked for a company who had a fleet of 3500's . They would fab the cab guards so that they could unbolt them in the winter. Made plowing in them alot better granted they were still used on fairly large lots that were ideal for them.

8. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

Plow residential with a jeep use the dumps on large lots.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think a flatbed on a 2500 is an excellent choice.

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You guys are all wrong about the duallies on drives. Can't be to big of a truck though. Unless you have a salter in the back of the dump, you can see real well out of them. The way my 07' 1 ton is set up for drives, I would never trade it for a SRW pickup.

11. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

After several plows this year with my new dump truck, im more comfortable about using it.

The lack of 360 visibility certainly sucks, but you get used to it after several hours/occasions.

The traction factor is a huge difference, but im usually carrying 1.5-2 ton of salt in the spreader.

Driveways are much harder to do than my 2500hd was. But still manageable.

12. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I plow with a 3500 dually crew cab 8 ft bed with a spreader on it, It's a challenge on driveways because it's so long but I got use to it. I have 2 regular cab 2500's also and they work better on the driveways naturally. I would love to buy a Ford Ranger or jeep with a nice small plow for driveways only, that would be my ideal choice some day. I find myself taking the blower off the truck half the time on most driveways because I get sick of backdragging and running over the snow and making pack and ice. As someone else stated dually's do suck for traction especially going up hilly lanes.

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My opinion....we had a 1 ton that my employee's mostly ran and I had the pleasure of running a few times. Everyone hated it! Between the windows getting frosted and covered in a salty film you couldn't see out of it at all. Unless you have a use for it in the summer I don't think there's any need for a 1 ton dump plowing driveways. They are expensive to run and own with no real advantage over a P/U for driveways or even small lots. We do a Lowe's with a 1 ton SRW flatbed and it has no problems making a full run with a load of snow and when its loaded even with a little bit of salt in the v box its pretty much unstoppable even in 2wd. All trucks we buy from now on are going to be flatbeds and installing a hoist under them.

14. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

i agree with BY . a srw 350 with a vee box will be sufficient for your application .

15. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

My '11 DRW 1 ton dump gets better traction then my 07 SRW ever thought of getting...
    Still need weight in the bed tho.

16. vlc

vlc Senior Member

I have both a 1 ton DRW dump and a 3/4 ton pickup. Definitely like the pickup better for driveways! But my help uses that truck, so I'm stuck with the dump. It takes a little more finesse, but it gets the job done.

17. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed for years with a one ton dump and an ez-vee. I loved that set up for just about anything. The only time it was a pain was when I had to plow driveways that were on private roads. Private roads around here are always pretty narrow. Other than that I would love to have another one but I can justify the cost for just a plow truck.

18. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I learned to plow in a 1 ton dump in a tight condo complex. you can move alot of snow in a mason dump with a 9' blade and make short work of decent sized lots. ive never really had a problem with traction in my dump truck, i dont even put any ballast weight it in. i used to plow driveways with it but it was a chore to even get the truck in position to make a run up the driveway. its much harder to turn a mason dump in 4wd. now i plow my resis with my 2500 w/ 8' western. after plowing for years in a dually 1 ton then going to a pickup i can be much faster and more efficient. its easier to turn and much easier to back up. but like others have said the visability in a dump is the biggest drawback.

19. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i run all duall wheel trucks mainly for the extra weight, better traction with 6'' wide tires on them and love them.
    2 of the trucks run v box spreaders in the back along with sidewing plows and dont have any problems doing residentials.

20. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

to quote vlc & bowtie , it really has a ton to do w/ experience . ballast , finesse & patience go a long way . I still F*** up too after 27 years , hitting an unforeseen sign backing up after a long stretch of hours or mowing over curb $$$.:laughing::blush2:

iv plowed in tri-axles , loaders ,p/ups and rv's . sheet happens but you be as careful as poss.

its the nature of the beast wesport

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013