1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1 Ton Dump Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MahonLawnCare, Nov 18, 2007.

1. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Hello Everyone,

Anyone ever know or plow with a 2 wd one ton dump with a load in the bed?? I know the pitfalls very well but I was wondering how effective you all think would be for lot clearing and small paved drives with minimal slope.I know guys who use them around here and they say its tougher but it will work. Any opinions?

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i have done it before and now..... around here all my 1 ton duallies plow in 2WD unless they get stuck on a steep slope or icy slope or a snow bank maybe. we just plow with O/D OFF. in your case you'd probably have to be extra cautious not to get into a tricky situation

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

our 91 ford plows almost solely in 2wd but will use 4x4 if he gets stuck so for the most part youll be fine in one

4. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

run a set of chains

5. amars415

amars415 Member

I am planing on using my 01 F550 2wd for plowing this year. I plan to load about 2-3K in the back and go. I think that you just must be a little more careful if you don't have 4wd. Don't get into any sticky situations. Good luck to us both!

6. Strictly Snow

Strictly Snow Senior Member
    from Oxford

2wd Dump

I run a 3500 ext cab 2wd dump 9' straight blade with the dmax and it is viturally unstopable with a small load. I have only gotten it stuck when i dont have a load and even then it was stacking snow and fell in a soft spot in the pile.

7. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

dont take it off the tar. dont plow inclines. dont put the truck in any position where it will not be level and on pavement.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have lots of customers running dually 2wd as lot trucks. They say the only issue is moving on the on plowed roadways. They move snow nice if they're loaded but steering is sometimes a little tougher, you have to travel slower.

If there is a good pre-app and traction isn't an issue, I often plow in 2wd. It's easier on equipment and driver.

9. rofoth3

rofoth3 Junior Member

2 wd

I have a 89 F350 Dualie 2wd 5 speed. Only have 7 places to do. ( that's the way i want it. )
    1 place has a 10-15 degree incline. Handles it pretty good. I only run with about 700pds counter weight.

10. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Dump a yard of fill sand in the back. It will add the weight you need and be there to use for traction if you get stuck.

11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Also, be careful if you have to get into loading dock. You have to drag out small bites at a time to keep hard surface under your wheels. Sometimes, in lighter amounts, you can back down and push out (dragging the last bit up a ways), but watch your surfaces underneath to make sure you're not on ice.

12. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

gee. see all these posts? sounds like it would be easier to just have a four wheel drive doesnt it?

13. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Yep, I agree. That's why my F450 Crew Cab is 4x4. I don't want to play wish I had...

I don't have time to waste at 4AM for someone with a truck big enough to come pull me out so I can finish plowing / salting.

I have a 2WD F550 Crew that does pretty well in the snow, but it's not plowing or pulling a trailer either. I keep a ton or two of chemical in it for the sidewalk crew and have yet to have to go get them out. But I wouldn't not feel as comfortable pulling my skid loader on a trailer during a storm with the 2WD as I do with the 4WD. JMO.