1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1 ton diesels in MA =$$$$$

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by harddock, Oct 10, 2008.

1. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

New Registry law (10-1-08) puts the over 10001lbs vehicles into commercial class. This means your local sticker shop can't help you and when you find a big rig place that issues inspections hang on to your wallet. $129.00. (regular under 10001lbs still $29.00) and if your rig is >10001 and gas you may not even find a garage that can give a sticker.

Can you say TAXACHUSETTS?

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

yes.
    What happens when you pay people with nothing better to do to sit around and think of stuff to write?
    They write , and write, and come up with more crap, and more crap, and.... If they are a democrat they come up with still more crap............
    then you pay for it again..:(

3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Is it actual truck weight or it must be GVW or whatever they call the total possible weight. My truck scales at 9000# plus or minus.............

4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

i understand what youre saying..but still kind of confused to what it means.

5. bribrius

Effective October 1, 2008, commercial vehicles, trailers and converter dollies are subject to the Massachusetts Commercial Motor Vehicle Inspection. This inspection is equivalent to the annual Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) “DOT” inspection. If your vehicle/trailer receives a state safety inspection beginning October 1, 2008, you are not required to obtain an annual “DOT” inspection.

Massachusetts registered single, full, or semi-trailers that are used in commerce and have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) over 3,000 lbs, and commercial vehicle/trailer combinations with a gross combined weight rating (GCVWR) of over 10,000 lbs will be subject to this new requirement, as will all heavy duty motor vehicles (over 10,000 lbs GVWR) and converter dollies.

Trailers and converter dollies in use after January 1, 2009, must be in compliance with this new inspection. For more information, please visit www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect and follow the link to “commercial inspections”.

6. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

My gripe is that my F350 is not registered as a commercial vehicle. It is a daily driver that I occasionally tow with. It should not be grouped in with dump trucks and delivery trucks even though the GVWR is > 10001. If I had a F250 the sticker would be $29.00

7. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

the way the Commercial Inspection PDF reads, this would only be on commercial vehicles, ie: vehicles used in commerce, "not private motor vehicles."

8. bribrius

keep it on a personal plate.
    You tow anything for business acrossed state lines i think you need a dot number too.
    just to let you know.

9. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

It may read that way but they're not inspecting that way. Over 10,000GVWR = $129.00

It didn't matter that I had passenger plates I only received a safety inspection, no emmissions and no need for chocks, flares, triangles etc.

If I was wronged how to I recoup the $100?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

My 04's are 9900 and 9700 I think. Is it the 05-08's that are 10,500 on the F-350's???

11. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i changed my plates to commercial but im over 10,000 anyways so now i need this new inspection for 129 bucks. whats this about chocks and flares and triangles?

12. bribrius

probably all set with that.
    Might want to check in and see if you need a dot number and medical cards for drivers. I have been out of the loop but i know in some instances both are being required so worth a check.

13. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

I heard yesterday from a guy with a F350 gas with commercial plates needed to get chocks, triangles, flares etc and his landscape trailer(>3,00lbs GVW) needed to now be inspected as well.

If I read it right the inspection is still $29.00 but the garage can charge their shop rate ($100 per hour) to do the inspection.

14. ColliganLands

great thanks for the info guys. im going to call my inspection place anc find out just to make sure. ill let everyone know the outcome

15. ColliganLands

just got off the phone with minuteman truck in walpole
    they siad becasue my 2005 f350 is 11,200 gvw i need the commercial inspection (which i knew) have to have fire extinguisher,chocks,triangles. it costs 29 for state plus another 99 for whatever and takes 2-3 hours to do. Also my truck doesnt need any DOT numbers or anything else. just the inspection. gotta love massachusetts

16. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

Colligan, Find out about that trailer in your avatar my guess is it is over 3,000lbs and it to will need to be inspected. Its all part of this new program. Lucky us.

17. ColliganLands

yea well its registered to my ram 1500 for personal use but im not sure if that matters i will find out.
    anyways i went in for inspection today and the guy did the old style dot inspection becasue for some reason the state is locking places out of the new system so i have to go back next week to get it redone. cost me 125 bucks for my truck
    hopefully the trailer is all set or else im going to get really mad. and for anyone that goes make sure you have triangles, chocks, flares and whatever else they require

18. bribrius

hate to be a stickler on this but are you SURE on the dot # and medical cards for drivers?
    it may only be a maine thing but i have been cited for this myself, and had others i know cited for no medical cards and dot #'s. One on a one ton dump. It could only be if you cross state lines and become interstate but i would hate to see you added to the citation list of people i know..
    im not sure what the deal is but i know the citations are real enough.

19. ColliganLands

as far as i know i called a place that sells big trucks (18 wheeler size) and they said i dont need a dot number for it. i also dont think i do sine it is technically a pickup not a box truck,dump etc
    i do know the guy messed up my inspection today since he did it the old way with a state and federal dot instead of the new combined one so now i have to go back and get that fixed. way too many headches for this
    its a f350 pickup 11,200 gvw commercial plates only becasue i have my company logo on it used mainly for personal use..

this new thing is driving me nuts

20. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Here in Ontario, its $74 per year for ANY PASSENGER VEHICLE! Its an easy $100-something for mine (reg at 4000kg or 8800lbs).