1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1 ton 2WD AntiSpin

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DavesNotHere, Dec 3, 2008.

1. DavesNotHere

DavesNotHere Junior Member

I'm looking at an 08 Dodge 3500 dually, dump body, Cummins, 6 spd 2wd with AntiSpin axle. Are any of you guys plowing light commercial with 2wd AntiSpin? The truck weighs around 8k empty
    What say you all?

2. amars415

amars415 Member

I've got an 01 f550 2wd, weighs 10k empty and it will push alot of snow. I put about 3-4K in the bed and go. I would however recomend that you have a good lugged tracton tire on the duals and I would only use it to plow nice flat lots. 2wd is fine unless you get yourself stuck in a snowbank or on a slope. If I could do it over again, I would probably get a 4wd. Hope that helps ya out.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Keep your cell phone with you. You may need it to call for a tow. On a flat lot in lighter snow you should be ok. Just keep your speed up.

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

is the "anti spin" the same as limited slip? either way you'll be fine on commercial lots, might need a ton or two in the bed...

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

There is still some debate on my 87 F-350 if I have a limited slip or normal carrier for the dif. Either way, I had some problems with heavy snow on gravel driveway that hadn't frozen solid yet. I need to pull the inspection cover this week and figure out if I have a posi or not.

All in all I'm happy with it. 1.5 tons of sand in the back and I have no problems getting around doing parking lots and drive-ways. I just have to be a little slower about what I'm doing so I don't go into a ditch and to clear off any areas at the head of where I'm plowing to get a good bite on the pavement.

I do have deep lug tires too, that makes a huge difference.

6. slade

slade Senior Member

I have a 94 chevy 3500hd 2wd with detroit locker and good snow tires. Worked great with salt in the spreader, not so good with empty spreader. I would also take into consideration where you live, we average 20" of snow a season.

7. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Detroits/Lockrights/no-spin etc. will get you more traction at the expense of some squirrelly handling issues, not so much w/ posi. Thing is we found is that open diff on slippery surface will let only one tire spin, other side anchors truck to surface. When both rear wheels spin the rear of truck breaks loose and has a tendency to fishtail, especially when lightly loaded. If you can live w/ the tradeoff it works out well having a traction adding diff. BTW the GM "Gov-Locks" will disengage by centrifugal force @ speeds over about 20 MPH, acting like an open diff, meaning at higher speeds the vehicles handling manners are normal.

8. ktraver97ss

ktraver97ss Junior Member

Yeah, I have the G80 in my 1/2 tons 10 bolt and it sucks balls. When i blow the trans this winter I plan on upgrading to a 4L80E with a 14bolt full floater with detroit tru-trac. I just hope the trans will wait till after christmas, for my familys sake!!

9. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

around here 4wd or go home
    2wd are for state hwy trucks
    but everywere you look there are hills

10. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I've got a 95 C3500 and I run a Western V with wings that measures 10.5'. I have a 8' V-box on the back and I rarely have to put weight in it. I do hills, loading docks, etc. I have an Eaton posi in the rear with 4 studded Goodyear Workhorses. I plow a lot of flat accounts, but I've yet to need pulled out. Just use common sense, and remember that you steering ability is not that of a 4WD. and you'll be fine.

11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

20"..... you must live up by the airport...

12. slade

slade Senior Member

No, I actually live 1-1.5 hours south of the airport. I was going off what the weather people say is the average, down here it is probably a couple inches less.