1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1-time plow client Issue

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by paradise1229, Feb 8, 2010.

1. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

This lead is the neighbor of a client that I plow for.

He has 2 driveways, a single driveway w/ single driveway, and 2nd driveway w/ 2car garage. I charged 50.00. (Full price 75.00) Gave him the senior discount. I never serviced this guy before, nor would he take a reciept.

I do not what was up with this guy. The whole time i was on his property plowing, he did nothing but swear at me and insult me the whole time giving me an attitude.:realmad: I gave it my best on this job. At the end, He accused me of damaging his lawn which I know it didn't happen. I even got out of the truck to visually inspect. He tore me up mentally for 2 days now. Still trying to figure out what the issue was. A few times he gotten in my face and I almost let him have it with my 2,000,000 SHU pepper spray. :gunsfiring:

Not once would he talk to me like a civilized person. I kept calm the whole time. I did not blow up. I kept asking him questions and all he would do is insult my intellegence and keep up with the attitude.

Anyways, Here's what I am thinking:

1) Be the Devils' Advocate Dancing with the Devil in the Pale Moonlight.
    Wait for another storm, next year if I have to wait. Early in the morning say 3am. Show up And Plow his A$$ in good so he has to really, really work hard to dig himself out. (Immediately Deny it if he confronts me and treat him like I was treated while I service my client's property later on.)

2) Be the Good Angel I try to be.
    I admit when I'm wrong. Show up in the spring with 2-4 bags of topsoil, seed and straw to fix the so-called damage he claims I caused.

3) Do nothing and try to let it go.

:help::help:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Walk away. No contract, no recpiet, no problem. Let someone else take his crap. If he tracks you down and asks you to do it tell him it was obvious he was not satified with your work and he needs to find someone who can meet his expectations.

The best thing about being self employed is you can say NO if you don't want or like the customer.

3. paradise1229

I figured option 2 might change his attitude. But then again, It may not be worth it.

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

That's why I never plow someone unless they are under contract. I know what the property looks like and where the boundaries are. It's just not worth the little money you get for the potential for aggravation. I dont know what's under the snow; grass, schrubs sewer vents, ect. I actually had a guy track my down at my house during a storm this year. He tried to insult me by offering me $10 to do his driveway and he "wouldn't even watch me. I don't care if you tear up my lawn" I refused....boy he happy with me. Like I said it's just not worth it to me for the potential for aggravation. If he's not under contract I'd walk. You'll never keep him happy.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You're already giving him a great rate, all capitulation will do his make him find something else to bust your **** about. You could probably do it for free and he would complain.

One resident in a development I do complains every time. First it was because I put too much snow in the end of his drive. When I did put a HUGE pile in the end of his drive (accident) and scooped it out he complained I scratched his seal coat. Now he complains (and will continue to do so:D) that I don't plow as close to the end of his drive as I do the others on his street. Some people just NEED to complain.

6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Just walk away and learn from the experiance. We still do 1 time calls 99% of the time it works out well. One thing I would say if ever someone is treating you like *****, stop right there and leave. Your dignity is worth more what they would ever pay you.

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmMRaUX-QSM

How far does $50 bucks get you in life and how much life does a stressful client take from you. I like option 2, be nice be fair, maybe send a nice apology card that finishes with "I wish you the best with your new contractor!"

8. paradise1229

All I can say is thank you! That really made my day. I ran this issue by the family. They told me Option 3.

BTW, When I mentioned that pushing snow accross the street was illegal, He said I was full of S&%(. Obviously, he never heard of it. I need to find that law somewhere. That way if it's ever brought up again on another property, I'll have the proof.

9. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

I can deal with all sorts of customers except the ones that have no respect for me. Seems to me like you were almost too kind and tolerant. Consider it doing a good deed for someone who didn't deserve it and walk away. BTW, I know the tempation of plowing him in...but you can actually get arrested for that...unless it's accidental i guess, lol.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Walk away. Like Basher said, no contract, no receipt, no problem. Did he pay cash or check? If he paid by check, return it to him.

And like someone else said, the next time someone starts yelling at you while you are plowing, stop the truck, pick up the blade, leave.

11. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

x2 there is probably a good reason this guy doesn't have a regular guy, you are better off, giving him back his money, walking away, and telling all other contractors about him too. pretty soon he well be black listed by everyone. Last year there was a condo that did this, (went through 10 different contractors in 3 seasons) well they have ran out of contractors, they are now doing their own snow, and boy does it look like sh!t, you reap what you sow

12. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

Buy him a soother, and a vibrator for his wife, PMS reflects hard within some families lol..
    Keep your head up and just walk away from it... and never ever bother going back to serve him....

13. Michigansnowkin

Michigansnowkin Member

I agree with basher, leave it as is dont plow for him and dont accept his calls, whatever you do for this guy will never be good enough. Some customers are just that way, thats why we have contracts.

14. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

just walk away and call it a day, give the cheack back and tell him to whipe his a$$ with it. and dont go back to that house in the spring just because he treated you like **** and got in your face. if he complains while doing you drive down the street tell him to get on his knees!

15. big acres

big acres Senior Member

You might ask the neighbor account what's up with the old dude... before you "thank him" for the referral.

I once knew an a lady who was a complete battle axe. She died malnourished and her husband was accused of not caring for her, though she was fully competent. Turns out, the autopsy showed that she had had multiple strokes over her lifetime that went undetected but ultimately affected her personality.

Others are right, the $50 isn't worth the two days of beating yourself up... let this one go like a fart in the wind.

16. mikkinosweat

mikkinosweat Junior Member

Sounds like my x father in law. B@!!h if he was hung with a new rope. Give the money back and move on, Lifes too short to try and make EVERYONE happy. If you have a dog maybe take it for a walk and he could leave a your welcome gift for him. lol

17. paradise1229

I will not be returning back to him. The guy I plowed for was only helping me make money
    by giving me him as a lead. That's all. He Paid Cash. It's deposited as my oil change for my truck!

Guys, after that incident, I as driving to my parent's house to plow them out. I serviced the Warren area family mission free of charge. It felt good to me doing charity for charity. Calls did come in from Craigslist. And I made more money by doing them and was getting waved down to plow other driveways.

According to Darryl G, Yes. I am a kind person and tolerant. I always try to remain calm and just roll with the punches. When life throws a wrench at me, I just dodge them. I don't throw them back. My background may explain.

My background in case some of you may wonder. My parents are JW. (Jehovah Witnesses) I haven't gone for quite a while. I was always taught to just be kind no matter what happens in life. My mom would kill me if she found out that I did Option 1. :laughing:
    My attitude towards life has changed my emotional mentality. Back in 05' I was assulted for no reason by my very best ex-friend whom I known since grade school. Yes, there was an excuse. He accused me of Beatting (at the time) pregy GF Which never happened. He has severe anger Mgt. issues. I sued him in court and to this day, he can never get over it. Yes, I won the lawsuit. But I'm still damaged mentally from it. I try to just keep calm and ride the storms of life.

18. Watkins

Watkins Member

You got payed ? You did the job as good as the next contractor only better.
    Inform him you will be in touch with him soon and you can fix the issue then.
    Never call him or contact him again, if he calls or tracks you down let him know you have been very busy but he is on the list.

This excuse and blackwall is what I use for irrational customers who cannot be happy with anything I do.

19. paradise1229

I'm just letting it it go. I'm way over it now. If he wants to treat me like that, He can fix his own problems.

20. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

So you slept good last night...:nod: good for you.