1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1" of snow, to plow or not to plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trqjnky, Dec 16, 2010.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Alright, say you get 1 inch of snow. Accounts have 2" trigger. But its going to be below freeing and cloudy for the next week.

Do you plow to help it melt or let it get packed down and stay there because it wasn't two inches?
  2. bln

bln Senior Member

I have had this situation happen before. I contacted the property mananger and we were compensated for the plowing. (The plowing was seasonal and the salting was per app.) Don't plow it unless you know your going to get paid or else they will expect each time. If your plowing is per push then yes go ahead and plow. Bill for it, if they complain take it off and make up for it later.
  3. m_falafel

m_falafel Member

What the guy before me said is pretty good. Also, if it's a seasonal, well for me it depends if it's a commercial account or a resi. If it's a resi I only plow when we get the amount written on the contract, if it's commercial I plow almost whenever there's an accumulation.
  4. peterng

peterng Senior Member

that's really interesting. I wrote a 1" trigger into my contracts and I know now the first thing I will do is have 2 levels of seasonal next year, 1" & 2"

2" ends up with 15 visits per year on avg up here, 1" ends up with 30 visits

1" gives some damn nice clean driveways though.
  5. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

with an inch or less here we just put down salt and let that burn it off
  6. Lawn Rover

Lawn Rover Inactive

+1 definitely salt it.
  7. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

i agree with the notion of plowing if it's per time and salt if its seasonal. that's what i always do.
  8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Depends how wet it is. We have a light inch dropping as we speak. I hope/plan to just salt it. A wetter 1" of snow around here would need pushing.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We had an inch yesterday, salter made it go away:nod:
  10. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I would talk to each customer, explain the situation and let them decide, If they are willing to pay for it then do it. If not let it go. A 2 inch trigger is just that, you show up at 2 inches. If you are going to change it all the time, then you don't need a trigger.
  11. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

ok , you have a 2 inch trigger , and it snows 1 inch , and tomorrow it snows another inch and the next day an inch more . Put in your contract that plowing can occur at the contractors discression , based on predicted weather forecasts. We just got an inch we plowed and salted , this morning lots were black, those that didnt , those lots were ice. error on the side of caution
  12. ericklinehamer4

ericklinehamer4 Junior Member

It ALWAYS pays off to scrape off 1" first. You will use FAR less salt to end up with the same clean lot. Obviously, this may vary from account to account (size of lot, difficulty of plowing, wording of actual contract, etc.) but if your true concern is quality of work and satisfaction of customers---plowing off what you sensibly can before salting is always the way to go!
  13. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

My customers would not be happy at all if they seen I plowed a little 1 inch snow but the salt they understand and are ok with and my lots are clean and my customers are happy. They don't feel like I'm just trying to hose them but they are taken care of and as long as they are happy that's all that matters so you should really just sit down and talk to who is in charge of the place to see what they want
  14. ericklinehamer4

I see what you're saying Wideout but this is how I look at it: Conserving materials benefits BOTH the customer and the contractor. The less salt I use, the less overhead I have which allows me to keep my price low. Also, the less salt I use on a given lot means reduced corrosion and pavement breakdown which can stretch lot maintenance dollars. Additionally, the green footprint (which as we all know is much more important these days than ever before) is significantly reduced when we responsibly manage the amount of salt we all use. Just sayin... ;-)
  15. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I know what your saying but unfortunately for the most part the only green these companies care about especially right now is the green in there pocket they don't worry about the concrete and other small things now! I buy the most eco friendly ice melt I can that is still at a reasonable price it says it won't harm concrete or vegetation but who knows for sure.
  16. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Salt one inch or less...if the sun comes out it really goes away!!!
  17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The trick is to pre-apply. then you use less salt get no bond and save the cost and wear and tear of plowing.
  18. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Pre-apply works great!
  19. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

plowing at 1" salting up to an inch. Sometimes we will even just scrap the lot clean if its 3/4 of an inch of snow. Accounts that are a nothing below 1" with out approval are billed t/m below 1", if it comes up to be more than what a 1" storm costs will usually just bill them for 1". Has happened, all day snow storm on a weekend needing lots of salt and occasional clearings before the full plow.
  20. ericklinehamer4

It's a gamble tho BrianBrich, it can actually screw ya in the long run when temps drop enough...OR...if it ends up NOT snowing you really look like a jackass and obviously have to end up eating the salting charge! lol, but a good pre-salt (when all the planets DO align) is a pretty sweet thing. ESPECIALLY when there's a Steelers game on! ;-)