1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1" Heavy Wet Snow Should I plow ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2dogs2, Jan 18, 2008.

1. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

Just got an inch of heavy wet snow, should I plow it or just let it go? xysport
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's up to you and your customers. What's the tempurature going to do and would that have any impact on whether to plow or not?
  3. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

I usually don't plow unless there is 2" of accumulation however if it is warm enough to turn to slush and it will freeze later... better scrape it off before you have a skating rink with waves... (tire track ruts)xysport. The personal injury attorneys LOVE slips, trips and falls.
    Always use your better judgement and be sure your customer knows you are minimizing his exposure to potential liability. This has sold more ice control business than you can imagine. Hope this helps, Al
  4. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

I agree it depends on the agreement with your customers. I have 2 with steep driveways and 1 with a tenant. They want me to plow and sand no matter what. You'd be surprised that even at 1" they are happy to wake to a clean driveway. You can always call and touch base during the day. "I didn't come because ( fill in blank) would you prefer i come anyway if the situation happens again"? See what they say.
  5. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

If its suppose to be 40 degrees and above the next day, i won't. If its suppose to be below 32, then yes.
  6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

What is your trigger amount? 0",1",2",3",4"
    I would assume it is above 1" or you would have just went out and plowed.

It is probably too late now, but I would go and do it and then bill them. If you are concerned then they are too. If they complain you just gave them a free plowing.
  7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We plow Just about every thing at 1" Give or take.

We have all the Dr Offices in town and were push them a 1/2 to 3/4" depending on what the weather will do
  8. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

For residentials we go out for a 5cm trigger (2inches) ....as for commercial we go out for 2cm triggers (1inch) Now I would plow the commercials if its heavy wet snow or it will freeze! Then it will cost you more in salting the places. Tell your resis it will cost more for these types of snowfalls if its gonna freeze up, then if they say NO & slip the next day, its their problem not yours!
  9. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Its hard to beat those kind of clients. If you don't show up, they cry about it, if you do show up they cry even more because its costing them money!:dizzy:
  10. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Had the same problem here this morning. We plow or atleast salt all the commercals no matter how much falls. Most of our driveways we have a 2 inch trigger ,but if its supposed to be below freezing we will scrape them up. They say its supposed to get up to 40 degrees here today before it gets really cold again so we decided to let the driveways melt on their own.
  11. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

We plowed

We plowed, well mostly salted, everything last night, and then scraped the slush off. I would rather have doen that, then hope that it will melt away before the cold front. I tell all my customers, it is my insurance on the line, and I am providing you with a service.
  12. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

When we get snow like that I plow the inclusives before I drop salt because I'm cheap
  13. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

How much is costing you an hour to run your truck and/or your subs??? My clientele will not bat an eye for 2/3 saltings during an icy event but tell them you are charging for a 2-4 inch storm(our lowest bracket) for pushing less than an inch and they flip. Margins are better on salt than plowing anyway(at least for us), just wondering why you wouldn't let the salt burn it off, and temps above 35 with the brine left from salting and you are just about garunteed black pavement, if it gets sun it'll be done even faster........
  14. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

inclusive means the salt is included in the monthly contract price.

I pay $70 a tonne for salt because I buy it by the triaxle.

Say a site that takes 1.5 tonnes of salt for 1" of snow. It might take one of my guys 1 hour to plow it, I will tell him to just drop the salt. But if I'm there myself, I can bang out the key spots in 10 minutes and get away with dropping 1/2 tonne of salt. So I save quite a bit of money.

I don't expect my guys to plow as fast as me for several reasons.

1) they don't have experience
    2) if something breaks, I have to pay
    3) them being hard on the truck is not as efficient as me being hard on the truck.

In one night of snow I can plow 35 schools in my pickup truck and make a few grand off the one truck alone. I expect my guys to plow around 9-10 schools and they are the smaller ones. So in one night I can more than cover a blown transmission, it's worth being hard on the equipment. But if one my guys were to drive or plow like I do, they would wreck the tranny and still only get 12 sites done.

The same goes for salting. I can go out and drop 1/2 tonne of salt and it will melt the same as when they go drop 1.5 tonnes of salt. But I don't expect them to try and drop 1/2 tonne of salt because I will end up with 10 slip and falls the next day.
  15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I kind of agree with Mike. Most of our place are large and everthings included. I used to always plow an inch but now I'll pretty much melt it. If it's -10 celius or colder I'll probably plow but the closer to 0 or 32 for you Americans I'll always salt. It takes 11 extra guys to plow or just 2 of us to salt, so I have less headaches when we salt.
  16. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

What the heck is the 'triaxle'
  17. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

triaxle dump truck. A dump truck has two sets of rear wheels and a third set that comes down when loaded. The same truck is pretty common for gravel delivery, asphalt, snow removal, etc...

We generally order by the triaxle. One triaxle load of salt is about 19-22 tonnes. The more salt you buy, the more you save.

If I were to order a tractor trailer of salt it would hold about 35-40 tonnes of salt and my price per tonne would be even cheaper.

Depending on where you buy your salt, the price varies. If we order a triaxle it's thru a friend and we get his bulk discount. If I were to do to the depot where I have an account, I would pay about $85 a tonne taxes in. If I were to go to a place I don't have an account I will pay close to $100 a tonne taxes in.
  18. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i would plow for sure. Renters/business owners love it to see the plow contractors plowing everytime because that is just that much less water that they have to clean up inside... at shopping centers/big commercial the tennats will pass on a good word to the landlords and the landlords will be happy because your keeping the tennats happy.....
  19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Lay down the salt!! No need to call all the loader operators or skid steer operators nothing breaks little to no labor costs alot less headaches and black lots on top of it