1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

#1 cylinder miss fire for f150 4.2L v6

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselfreak, Jan 19, 2006.

1. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Member

my friend has a ford F150 97 4.2L engine V6 and every time he starts the engine in his garage or in a parking garage it miss fires and he has had the manifold off and the engine token apart and has run fuel injection cleaner threw it and it still does it any ideas or suggestions. #1 cylinder miss fire

2. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Plug & wire change if it hasn't been done. If he has the coil pack per cyl i would change that one or swap it for another. If it is getting energy to the plug, get a mechanics stethscope and listen for the injector to open.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try starting it when it's really dark with someone watching the coil pack and wires. You may have some arcing going on when the humidity is high. Look for carbon tracking on the coil pack between towers.If the spark plug wires are old replace them. Dielectric grease needs to be swabbed inside each end of the boots on the wires also, to seal out moisture.Try not to cross spark plug wires over each other.

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

does it idle rough like a cylinder is not firing
    i so check for spark at #1 cylinder

john

5. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Member

OK thanks for all the replies