1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1.99 acre lot - School

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by plowin-thru, Oct 31, 2010.

1. plowin-thru

plowin-thru Junior Member

Hey i know the drill, nobody wants to give out price sheets and help the competition get jobs, but heres my scenario...

1.99 acre lot. Front half is parking lot and drive way which need to be salted. back half is plowing only no salt. Im new to salting and when i price it out, the job more than doubles.

i plowed it last year for 1150 3" trigger...otherwise i wasnt showing up. (as per contract)

this year, they want full service and salt on half the lot... salt price MUST be included so i jumped from 1150 to 3150 based on 5 tonns per month at 250tonn...i figure 1/2tonn per visit, banking on 10 visits or less per month

hot or cold? high or low? out to lunch? ANY AND ALL INPUT WELCOME, IM NOT A SENSATIVE B!T@#

throw me a bone! im young, hungry and got lots invested already

2. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Dang 250 a ton !! That's peelin it in !

3. plowin-thru

ok keep in mind thats a guarenteed salt on every slippery condition. no extra charge for any visit. no extra tonnage if need be. service has increased from 3' trigger to full serve and under no condition will extra chaarges be applied

4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Which school board is this for? Suprised all tenders havent closed yet.

5. plowin-thru

they're closed. im trying to obtain the lot from the contractor for a reasonable difference.

6. JohnnyRoyale

Which board?...I may have the numbers.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  7. plowin-thru

how about my banking info aswell? perhaps i should cut you a check? lol

8. JohnnyRoyale

Good luck.

9. plowin-thru

come on now, be reasonable, would you tell me? you prepared to hand over all #'s for metro toronto region? thats a big list

10. JohnnyRoyale

I would have helped you but you came across as a real jerkoff.

FYI-we hold contracts on approximately 180 schools for 4 different boards and have historical data for the last 10 years on pretty much all of them in and around the GTA.

I do have the numbers you're looking for but you're not going to get them. Good luck.

11. plowin-thru

ok then appreciate it. i'd prefer to keep my one for my self anyway. and like i said, im not lookin for a hand out, im looking for some guidance.

12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

wow, i have never seen this before, great help turned down?!?! amazing

13. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

I woulda turned him down to. Trust no one. The guy could be a rat and just wants to run in there and try to steal it away from him.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It is hard to help you without knowing which Board.
    Toronto Board will have way less snow then York Region. York Region is so large that sites near Steels might go for less then 1/2 what Sutton might go for. Not to sure what Peel and Durham has for snow but I know what some of that pricing is. I got the info from the guy you turned all that help down from.

Most of us don't steel other people's work. But I usually find the people that think that way usually act that way.

15. buckwheat_la

lmao, wow paranoia is running wild here, i guess that is your guys choice. I have a question though, would you rather Johnny was honest about the fact he likely has the numbers, and is willing to help you, or he could have fed you a bunch of crap and completely jerked you around. Also, just a thought, but if he wanted that contract, i am pretty sure he could find all the info about it from sources other then here. JMO. By the way unless i am missing something, i think your prices are way high.

16. buckwheat_la

JohnnyRoyale don't let it bother you, they are both newbies, they know not what the do, lmao

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I'm thinking that $1150 and $3150 are for the year. That's why I said Toronto or Sutton, big difference. It might be monthly but maybe he will clarify.

18. buckwheat_la

not sure, the numbers don't make a lot of sense, he is figuring on 10 events or less per month, 2 acres, i would be figuring is worth about $200 or so per time for plowing, on a 3 inch trigger. JohnnyRoyale, could I get some help understanding this please (your help is greatly appreciated) :nod:

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If this is Toronto with a 3" trigger he would be lucky to get 10 pushes all winter. No way he is getting 50 salting.

I'm sure JohnnyRoyale is done helping and I don't blame him.:D

20. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

If he is getting that for salt, that's a good markup. The contractor would be lucky to make that. I've seen some previous years bids.