1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$1,700 too much for this plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jasonrose, Sep 24, 2007.

1. jasonrose

jasonrose Junior Member

Hi all, I think this is my first time posting over here in the frozen tundra... Long time Lawnsite member. I have the opportunity to buy a Western straight plow (7.5'), it's older and needs a repainting, but it all works 100%. It's coming off an older Chevy truck (80 or so model) and part of the price includes getting it mounted up to my 1998 Dodge 3/4 ton.

The "package deal" comes with 3 plow accounts, total gross per snow is around $550 or so.

My problem is, I feel that it's still a pretty steep price for an older plow that size, even though it does work and has a newer motor. The price WAS 1,250 but once the guy thought about it, and remembered the acounts that were to go with it, he changed his tune. Finding plows around here, used, is rare. This is not plow country, though we do have at least 3 or 4 plowable snows per winter, sometimes hit with more. Nothing ever over 10 inches or so. Hence it's hard to find them around here, and to buy new I think they are pushing $5,000.

My next thought, since i'm kinda commited to buy this already :dizzy: is to buy a set of plow wings for it to add a little width and make things easier... This will be my first plow, and driving a plow, ever (other than the 4' plow on the front of my mower, lol.)

Any thoughts, please!? :confused:
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I think that's a good price. Especially if he's giving you some accounts. I doubt you'll need any wings because it doesn't sound like you're going to be all that busy. Up until 2001 I used a 7.5 and I was able to knock out around 30 driveways with it. Post some pics once you get it all set up...
  3. jasonrose

jasonrose Junior Member

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I should have stated that the 3 accounts that come with the plow are parking lots, and would go in addition with what I already have that I have been doing with snowblower and blade on the mower. Plus I picked up a HOA last spring that's 12 driveways to do. Not to mention that every snow my phone rings and rings, but Iv'e never had a plow and always had to turn the work away... I think I could be really busy really fast if we get a good snow.

The wings I saw were like 2 or 3 hundred for the pair, the removeable kind. How good they are, I don't know... Just saw them in a catalog.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  4. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

Pro wings

I have pro wings on my 7'6" Western pro. They really help. I use them to plow everything open and move the majority of the snow. The only time they come off is when I am clearing curb to curb. The rubber cutting edges on the pro wings do not clean the edge of the curb as nicely as the plow, but they are well worth the price. They help hold a lot more snow. The price sounds good too. You could pay for that thing real quick from the sounds of it.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I doubt you will find a mount for a 98 truck for that plow.

How much do you want him modifying your truck to get it installed?
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

what model plow? If it's an old conventional blade you'll not find a mount.
  7. jasonrose

jasonrose Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! The plow deal didn't go through after reading some more on here and realizing that I would have to fooch up the front of my truck pretty bad to get it to fit. Not to mention that the plow itself was looking rough. Lots of rust, would have needed re-painted at the very least for me to feel comfortable beeing seen with it, lol. Also needed some welding/plating on the frame.

Stinks not gaining the 3 accounts, but there's always more! Now I'm searching for a new plow but can't decide on a brand... Meyers seems to be popular here, but I see that a lot of people that plow a lot frown on them. I'm going to start a new thread... Since I don't know what I'm doing!