1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1.5 tornado vs 1.8

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by NorthernSvc's, Oct 17, 2009.

1. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i have an 8foot ford f-350 im going to buy a tornado spreader for, just trying to decided between the 1.5 vs 1.8.... if my homework is right - they are exactly the same... only the 1.8 is 1 foot longer, holds .3 cu yds of salt more and is 1,000.00 dollars more???? think im gonna go with the 1.5.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If that's the only difference I would agree with you. Maybe the 1.8 has an upgraded motor/bed chain?

Edit - I just looked at the Parts List. Everything is the same for all three models drive wise. Maybe they quoted the taller unit? 2.5 yard capacity?
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  3. NorthernSvc's

it's just crazyness, i got bids from my local guy who i usually use... who im gonna use, and then went online and did a bit o researching cause i was like wtf seriously more than a 1,000 difference??? but yea it is, wtf western....
  4. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

The 7' is 108" long whereas the 8' is 117" long. I just bought the Fisher Polycaster which is the exact spreader. The difference was 500.00 between the 7 / 8. I should have got the 2.5.. it's just taller not any bigger.
  5. snow white

snow white Member

1..5 vs 1.8 vs 2.5

i priced them also the three spreaders are the same except more hopper size on the larger two ,,,cannot understand the 1.8 is $1000 more the 2.5 is 1800 more go figure is plastic a precious metal like gold come on western this is stupid ....give me bigger motor {amps } or chain or something.....???????????
  6. NorthernSvc's

glad to see im not the only one thats perplexed by this... i got the 1.5 and im building sides to make it a little taller, so it will hold more...
  7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

if you have access to a camera can you snap a pic when your done? are you going to re-attach the top covers....looking to do this also.
  8. NorthernSvc's

ill take some pics once im done... don't even have a plan yet on what im gonna do... just know that i wanna add about a foot of height...
  9. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Mine if I as what it set you back? and where did you get it??

10. NorthernSvc's

about 4,000 - Advanced engine repairs... in wheeling on harvester court... talk to John
  11. KrisR

KrisR Member
    from NH

The 1.8 and the 2.5 are the same, if you look at them the 2.5 yd has a 7 in poly extension bolted to what looks like the 1.8 spreader. so i think that you can make the 1.8 into a 2.5 and vice versa if you needed to. not sure if it is a kit or not. If it were me I would buy the 1.8 because it has the capability of becoming a 2.5