1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1-3 feet of snow predicted....!! Colorado

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chtucker, Nov 7, 2002.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

A developing storm system off the California coast will move inland this weekend bringing rain and snow to eastern Utah and western Colorado... and the potential for significant mountain snowfall.

Scattered rain and snow showers... will develop during the day Friday... with the bulk of the snow expected to occur Friday night and Saturday. The greatest snow accumulations will be in the San Juan Mountains... .where 2 to 3 feet of snow is possible by Sunday afternoon above 8000 feet. The remaining mountains of eastern Utah and western Colorado will experience accumulations of 1 to 2 feet. Blowing and drifting snow will also be a concern with Ridgetop winds above 10000 feet of up to 60 mph. Rain and snow showers will occur at the Lower Valley locations.

Holy COW! BATMAN! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

We'll see how the new guy does....

2. Ben

Ben Member

payup payup lucky you, we have not seen the first flake here yet.
  3. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

3' ? I think you better put that plow away and get one of those big huge snowblowers?
  4. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

What scares me is that if the cloud seeding thing actually works...

30% increase of 1-3 feet could mean 4 feet in spots!!!

Could we just have a few 6-10 inch storms for practice/warmup....

I shouldn't get as much as long0 in Aspen though, he will probably be buried.

5. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I remember going up into the High Sierra's one year to ski at Mammouth Mtn. I didn't see a plow the whole time I was there and it was snowing the whole three days we were at the Ski Chalet. All I saw working roadways and parking lots was big Snowblowers, bobcats and loaders. Not one plow anywere. I figured that since we had to walk DOWN to the front door of the Chalet because of the 10' of snow around it the plows had been put away for the rest of the year.
  6. long0

long0 Senior Member

The latest prediction I heard was that the wind is going to be 40 - 60mph, starting around noon on Friday, continuing on to Saturday evening.

"1' - 3' with wind" payup :nod:

In 93' - Aspen Ski Co. began seeding the clouds, looking for a record base. Only lasted one year, and they got about average snowfall, but the mountains surrounding Aspen got buried. Around Christmas, dad and I plowed for 19 days straight. Mininum snowfall during those 19 days was 6", reaching 27" in one 24hr period. We were only plowing our own drive way, one neighbor, and the road to the highway. I can't imagine trying to get all my customers plowed out with snow like that.

I could do with out the cloud seeding if its going to be a repeat of 93'. :nono:

7. NoSnow

NoSnow Member

I'll pray that it stalls over you guys, I've been sitting since a week ago Monday waiting for last snow to melt so I can finish my other work. Just give me a couple of clear days.
  8. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

What exactly is cloud seeding?
  9. long0

long0 Senior Member

I fully don't understand how it works, but it sure seems to.
    This site had the most straight forward explanation.

Cloud Seeding

10. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Ok don't laugh...

Shooting missles (No sh@t) containing silver iodide crystals into clouds. It creates an ionic charge situation that releases more moisture from the clouds.

Anywhere between 10 to 30 % increase of snow can be expected from doing this. The cities of Denver, Aurora and some of the ski areas are spending $700,000 to conduct the cloud seeding this winter due to the extreme drought we are in.

11. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

Thats pretty interesting, i guess you do learn something new every day
  12. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

When it gets deep enough for you guys in Colorado, try to figure out a way to turn it north 400-600 miles. We'll take all we can get that you can't use. I sell hay too along with doing plowing and some other misc activities and I can't tell you how many calls I've had looking from your area looking to find hay up here, but we're almost as bad off as you are, so there's not any extra here right now either. Western South Dakota and southeastern Montana are in dire straits too, so even if you could only get it to come that far it would help.
  13. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

Howard if you get that much snow you might wish you hadn't sold the skid steer. :mad:
  14. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I know, I know, I know :eek:
  15. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I propose that there be some sort of profit sharing between those who benefit from the cloud seeding and those downwind of them, who won't get the snow because it already fell on the Colorado ski slopes. (Not that much of it would get as far east as here, but what the heck, it doesn't hurt to make the suggestion...)
  16. Tim Baden

Tim Baden Member

You guys are so lucky,sure wish i was there to enjoy all that.Here in sw michigan all we have had is some light snow but nothing stuck.1-3 feet of snow and 40-60mph wind is like my biggest dream come true.whoooo hoooo!!
  17. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I dont know about anyone else but being that I do all per time I would rather 40-50 2" snow falls every year.:D
  18. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

You'd think the people who are paying for snow removal would pitch holy fits about that cloud seeding thing. But I suppose it's all a chain of interrelated economy, but still. I'd be a pissed off citizen if I had to pay an extra $500 vs a typical season because of it... Good for us, good for some of them, bad for the rest of them. I think. Maybe. I dunno. Wasted space here I think. :confused: :D

Maybe I should just say "Dang, that's a lot of snow!" :D
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2002
  19. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Ok now to get serious... I won't believe it till it happens, but what do you do to prepare for a storm like this????
  20. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

Michigan' s forecast for this weekend 60's and a thunderstorm possible. Send about 2-3" of that snow across the Lake. Would not look forward to the 2-3 ft. A little freezing rain would be even better and could just ride around with the salter/deicer and a lot less wear and tear on the equipment. I hope this isn't an indication of another 1988 winter when it was 60's at the end of November. I remember deer hunting in a short sleeve shirt shirt that year.:cool: