1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/26/2008 In Alaska Enjoy

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Jbowe, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Took these pics from Hatcher Pass in Alaska today. Nice windy day and hope you all enjoy.

On the way to On the way to Hatcher.jpg

Hatcher Pass.jpg

Hatcher Pass two.jpg

Hatcher Pass Three.jpg

Hatcher Pass 4.jpg

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Nice pics. That is a place I would like to travel to.

3. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Weather

It was a beautiful day today. Been plowing steady until about 6 last night. The snow started about 4 days ago and dropped about 15 inches in the lower elevations and 35" at Hatcher pass. Today I took two trucks up and we pushed the snow back from the parking lot to make room for more snow that is due in the next few days. Temp out today was about -5 degrees up at Hatcher and 5 above with heavy winds in the lower elevations. You can view the Mother Lode lodge on line if you want to see some more pics of where this lot is. Steve from Alaska

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i saw u had ur tow strap hookd up and layin over the gate makes life easy when u get stuck pushing back

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Sweet

Thanks for the pics

6. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Getting stuck

Thats why I took two trucks up today. At the beginning of the year a lot of melting and freezing was going on and I had to use the truck I was driving to break it up, and the pile had to be pushed up pretty high and back to make room for future snows. One of the problems with lots of snow. Much easier to have the strap easily accessable when it has more snow behind the plow then in from. lol Only had to use it twice all morning though so it went better then expected.

7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

my dad said when they were younger and were plowing for this guy he had a jeep and they would tie a long rope 100 feet or so of 1inch rope on the the jeep a truck then the guy would run the jeep up the piles stacking real high then they would pull it back. dont know if thats the truth but its what he said

8. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Crazy piles. Thats the real deal. You should open a plowing college up there; teach the greenhorns what its all about.:drinkup:

9. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Thanks Ford

Yeah the piles when I was finished were about 12' high. The dumpster was completely buried in the snow and I had to drag it out. Luck for us it was empty. Spent about two hrs moving the snow back. It was actually a lot of fun seeing how high I could get it with the 3/4 ton and V plow. My other driver was in the 1500 and was there mainly to push after I had cut the piles back. A team effort.

10. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Snow Plowing

Just a bit more, when the snow really started pileing up earlier in the week I made a run up. There was about 18" on the high way. The state trucks don't push past the bottom of the pass until the snow is finished falling. Sometimes for two days. When I went up my V was blowing snow out both sides all the way up so it left only about 6" where I was going. While plowing the lodge in the pics I backed out and there was this chevy 2 wheel drive van that had followed my tracks and was stuck just below the lodge. He was the cook for the Independence Mine lodge 3 miles further up the mountain. Being the nice guy I am I got him up to where I had plowed and cleared the lot but he was desperate to go all the way. The lodge had clients and no one to feed them and there was about 30" on top. No way was he going to make it. So I said yahoo follow me, droped the 9'6 blade and told him to tag along and plowed the highway all the way to the top. The wind was blowing so hard by the time I headed back down it had already covered my tracks. So I just raised my blade and went back down. No sence doing the states work.

11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Did the Mine Cook at least feed you for getting him up there? Good story!

12. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Cook Pay

Nope but he gave me a cup of coffee to drink on the way back and 20.00. Spent more then that on gas. lol

13. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

NICE!

i've been meaning to get up to hatchers this winter..but havent yet..i love it up there just for the view and the drive haha

awsome pics!

14. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Hatcher pass

They have a total of about 60 inches right now. Maybe a little more. Up at the top is even more. I am just talking about the Mother Lode Lodge

15. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Wow 60" thats alot of snow. Nice pictures, keep them coming

16. ctd992500

ctd992500 Senior Member

Those are some nice pics you got their. I like your dodge too thats a nice lookin truck you got their.

17. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

those are some nice pictures and alot of snow, i forgot how to push snow it must be fun!:cry:

18. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Nice pics and truck

19. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

GREAT PICTURES THANKS A TON FROM US PLOWERS WHO HAVENT SEEN ANY REAL SNOW THIS SEASON YET:salute:

20. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Those are some cool pics!!!