1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 tons who plows commercially with these

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, May 22, 2007.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I was wondering how many guys plow commercially with these trucks.How have they held up and what kind of work are you doing with it.What have you done to the truck to make it more commercial duty.Dave

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed from 1993 to 2001 with all 1/2 ton trucks that I used as combination personal & work trucks. All of those were extended cabs (and one was a 2-door Tahoe). I plowed roughly 30 driveways and a couple relatively small commercial lots without any hesitation by the trucks. I did nothing to beef up the trucks, and never added so much as a bag of sand for ballast. Light commercial & residential do great with 1/2 tons, though I'm much happier with 3/4's & 1-tons now. Good luck!

~Kevin

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

YardMedic has summed it up well! I has a 1/2 ton and it would plow anything is sight. Just as long as you treat it like a 1/2 ton and not beat it, you will be fine.

4. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

One of my subs has a 1/2 ton and he plows everything. The truck carries a 8'2 V, a 8ft back blade, and a tailgate spreader.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

the one thing you'll not get with the 1/2 ton is the same tax write-offs. Uncle Sam wants you to drive a 3/4 ton, at least to get the best tax deductions.

6. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

1/2 ton 3/4 ton

It doesn't matter if your truck is called a half ton or 3/4 ton. What matter is if the GVW gross vehicle weight, which is the truck and the load, are in excess of 6,000 lbs. If they are, you can use section 179 to expense out a huge portion of the cost of the vehicle in the first year. IF the GVW is less than 6,000 lbs, you can still deduct the businss use of the truck and depreciatio, but over a longer period of time.