1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 tons 5.3 how well does the transmission hold up!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mtstclair, Sep 29, 2008.

1. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

I curious as to how well the chevy's with the 5.3 transmissions hold up when plowing snow. I know you gota keep them cool but other than that anyone have it poblems much?

2. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Most of the failures I've heard of were caused by towing heavy trailers at high speed. I had one for a few years and beat the heck out of it before I upgraded to the d-max/Allison. It always worked perfectly. The real weak link in 5.3 Chevy trucks is the 5.3. Not much torque down low. You gotta spin it to make power. The 6.0 is only .7 bigger, but it's WAY better for grunt work.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There no different than any other trans in the light duty trucks. Keep it cool, maintain it, don't abuse it, and it should provide years of dependable service.