1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 ton?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Polarisrmkguy, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Polarisrmkguy

Polarisrmkguy Junior Member

OKie I have the opertunaty to get a 1997 W/T 1500 4x4 6cyl Vortec 4.3L CLEAN and very solid with 127,000 miles on it and am thinking about trading my daily driver for it. The truck is listed for $4,995 and i would be putting a Western 7"6' uni-mount on it. Is it worth getting a 1/2 ton. It woud be used for say mini malls, Cub parking lots and resadental. Any input would be very helpful.
  2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

The truck will do fine for a short time. as it is a 1/2 ton it would do great for the driveways and other small jobs but useing it for larger jobs like most conercial ones wil take its toll sooner then it would on a 3/4 or 1 ton.
    The 1/2 ton advantage is it is lighter and in light snow doesn't take as much fuel to plow also it is easer on the brakes but in heavy or wet snow it takes a little more then 1/2 ton to keep the snow moving. Parts are cheeper but because they are lighter made they brake easer. as a second plow it would be good for fast responce, it may be easer to monover in a tight area so there are some advantages. But if your accounts are large open lots then I would sugest a 3/4 or 1 ton. Still it would be a good starter plow. no bigget then the 7.5 plow though.
  3. Polarisrmkguy

Polarisrmkguy Junior Member

Would I need to beef up the front suspention at all? If so what would be some suggestions?
  4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

first add the plow and see how it sets. If you must then maybe chainge the front springs to a heaver spring. and front shocks. other then that nothing. Still you should plan on replacing the truck in a few years.
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

The 4.3 is tough motor is 350 with 2 cylinder's chopped off i know a guy who uses a s10 with 4.3 to do similar stuff your talking about i would add some bilstien shocks up front you can crank up the torsion bars if you need to i would put a deep cycle battery i think that has a 95amp alternator in it i would go with a meyers 7.0 or 7.5 blade or a western ultramount plow
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

when you say cub parking lots you mean like grocery stores? a small blade in a big lot just isnt effiecent. Yes it will work but you should really try to keep that truck in small lots and drives.

The standard what should i do to help cary a blade on my chevy - Timbrens in the front and ballast in the back behind your rear wheels

Dont get a HD blade, get a regular or lite duty or what ever the man is calling it, a comercial duty blade will be too heavy. Blizzard, fisher, and western make some good blades. Snoway supposedly makes a nice unit but I have 0 experience with those dudes
  7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If you do lots of large lots you are going to want a larger truck and plow. 1/2 tons are great for driveways, and you don't have to replace them every few years, just like any truck you take care of. Set it up right and your truck will plow as good as any truck. Theres nothing i cant plow with my 1/2 ton.
  8. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

that truck will shine in anything less then 2 acres! the 4.3 is great on power and dosnt hit the pocket much for fuel