1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 ton ??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bru z71, Feb 26, 2011.

1. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

ok i got a silverado 1500 i plow commerical truck handles it good ... over time obv the front end is going to give way over time bc of the plow does anyone know of a website / kit / hd tie rods / hd ball joints that work with 1500 trucks ? thanks ussmileyflag
  2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know where or a website to help you I plow with just half tons and I haven't had to replace any front end parts more than anybody else. This Is just a myth...now don't get me wrong my plows come off as soon as they are done with a storm, as it is not necessary to keep the added weight on the front when not in use. I know all the bigger truck guys will say I'm wrong or I know for sure they'll disagree.
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

4. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

As long as you're using a plow rated for your truck's front axle rating, don't abuse it and don't leave it on unnecessarily, you'll be fine. A set of Timbrens might help with the load while the plow is on. I've plowed thirteen seasons, eleven of them with a half ton and no problems.
  5. You find the 2010 1500 works well? I was planning on buying an 07+ 2500HD but it will be my daily driver as well as lawncare truck in the summer and all the kms i put on it.. seems like burning double the gas all the time wont be worth what id save in 'repairs' just to plow in the winter.. you think id be fine getting a new style 1500? i wanted to get a v blade but i know that would be out of the questions.. but a 7.5 would be fine
  6. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

Sorry about the late response. I thought the 1500 worked fine and this is the roughest winter we've had since the mid nineties. I got the heaviest blade that was still rated for the truck. I put Timbrens on as a little extra anti squat measure, but the truck did fine before I put them on. I'm probably going to take them off, because the ride without the plow is super harsh. I may put a 2" lift kit on for a little extra front clearance with the plow on, bt I haven't decided that yet.

All in all, although my 2008 Ford F-250 could push a little bit more snow and handle a bigger blade, this truck is just fine. And at 22 mpg highway vs 13 with the Ford, I'll take the little bit of compromise. I use the truck for much more than plowing.