1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 ton to 3/4 ton coil springs

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by gotsnow?, Mar 29, 2007.

1. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

I'm new to plowsite and I'm sure this question has been asked before, so I appologize in advance... But I just put a 7.5' Western Unimount on my 97 Dodge 1500 and I was wondering if I could easily change my 1/2 ton front coil springs over to 3/4 ton coil springs to do away with some of the front end droop?? Are 3/4 coils compatible with my 1/2 ton setup?? Thanks for any answers and suggestions. David-:gunsfiring:
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Yes and yes.

Boy, do you have some reading ahead of you.

I would recommend the #38 &#39 combo and maybe some timbrens.
    You will not need a spring compressor like what is mentioned in the thread I'm giving you just loosen the sway-bar links and you will have more than enough room.

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

If you heve any Q's feel free to ask.
  3. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Thank you for your suggestion. Would I have to get the timbrens or can I just upgrade to the stiffer coils? What would be the result of not adding the timbrens or some other airbag type deal? Thanks, David-
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I don't think you will need the timbrens with the 7.5 plow and heaver springs.
    If you upgrade to a Vplow or a much heaver plow, timbrens will be a nice addition and you will not even know their there with the plow off.

With the #38 & #39 you will still have a nice riding truck with or with out the plow on.

My 01 has this combination and I run a 8.3 Hiniker. The front drops very little.

here is a link to a chart that lists all of the coil springs.http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/springs.htm
  5. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

i have a 99 ram and i put v-10 front springs in it. with out a problem i think it took longer to take the tires off than to put the springs in. ride is good and with plow on hardly a drop i have an 8 ft meyers poly on mine.
  6. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Great! Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking for some reasonably priced coils over the summer!