1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 ton short box plowing

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NBI Lawn, Oct 24, 2007.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I found what seems to be a good deal on a 96 1/2 ton reg. short box truck. It has never seen a plow but I would hang one on it.
    Question is would it be able to push a 9' Hiniker scoop? I would only put a 8' straight blade on it but I have 2 scoops that would use the same controls... so it might see a big blade every now and again.

Since it isnt a smokin deal should I just let it go and find a 3/4 ton? I do have 3/4 ton springs that would go in the truck.

Thanks

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We got a 1/2 ton we plow with. I dont think Id put any thing bigger then a 7 1/2 inless its a light snow

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

what is the running gear in the truck?
    and....how long do you need the truck to last?
    it will do it. some half tons are rated up to a eight and a half blade anyway. how long it will last is a good question. you could probably find a three quarter for the same money if you shop around.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If it's a Reg cab short bed truck 3/4 or 1/2 ton springs you need ballast. I had a 76 sno fighter short bed, it was a driveway dream but i don't know about a 9" scoop. That a lot of weight on the front of a short wheel base truck.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Bingo!;) We have a winner....

For the very reasons as scary:eek: as it seams that are listed below.

Sure, you can plow with a 1500 you know that.
    You also know what engine it has, millage, which transfer case and gearing it has.

It will be hard on the front but you could get away with it for a while.
    Do you do any salting?

I believe the 2500 properly equipped is a better truck to plow with.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why do you need running gear in a truck? Why wouldn't you just drive?

9' might be pushing it--pun intended--but it could be done occasionally. I have a '96 that has had an 8' 2" Boss on since it was brand new. Now has 160,000+ on it.

basher, which engine did your snofighter have?

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

a 318 gently:rolleyes: massaged, cammed 3 steps, 650 holly, chrome rings, a list of goodies. Great truck, full time 4x4, turn on a dime, manual trans that was user friendly, body so beat up it didn't matter, Ahh to be young and accustom to frills and pleasures.
    Still have the Engine around, filled with oil waiting for a old Dart to come along:nod:

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN