1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 ton question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by drtumolo, Oct 11, 2015.

1. drtumolo

drtumolo Member

I plow my 1/3 mile driveway for the last 15 years with dakota's and a western plow. I have never had any problems from plowing but I now would like to upgrade to a 2014 ram 1500 crew cab. I am reading all the post that say you can not plow with a 1500 but most of the plow companies offer a plow for it. Opinions wanted on if you think it will work for me and what plow should I get?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If your plowing your driveway with a Dakota, you'll be fine with a 1/2 ton. Whatever truck you get, make sure you can get a plow for it FIRST.

3. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

Western half ton series should fit.

or boss htx would also work

4. drtumolo

drtumolo Member

I guess my concern is I read horror stories about the elec assist stearing having problems with the increased weight and also one post of a frame issue. I figured I would ask here for some first hand experience.

5. trevier

trevier Senior Member

I'd love to get a 1500 but like you I plow also. There new knob on the dash to select drive and reverse scares the hell out of me. On a regular night I'm in an out of drive an reverse probably 500 times. I have no clue if it can take the abuse.

6. drtumolo

drtumolo Member

I only plow my own drive and it doesnt require much reverse. From what I have read I think the 8 spd will handle it. Just worried about the front end and the frame.

7. giggity

giggity Senior Member

I have a 2010 1500 that Ive been plowing commercially with for 2 years. The truck has done fine with no problems, I also carry 1000lbs of bagged salt. Im not saying this is the ideal setup by any means. If I can plow commercial accounts with mine, a driveway is a breeze. The biggest problem you will have is ground clearance, I had to install a leveling kit on mine to make it work. i run a western ultra mount 7.5 pro plow.

11082660_10152790095457914_5964487508438362115_n.jpg

8. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

The knob is no different than a steering column shifter. They are all electronic. And the rotary shifter is very solid.
    If I had to put a western 1/2 ton series on mine I would not be scared of it.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So there's no cable anymore on any 1/2 ton?

10. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Nope. All electronic.

11. trevier

trevier Senior Member

this might change things. My other problem is I tow a 16ft contractor trailer for my job being a contractor. It's a big trailer and pretty heavy.

12. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

My '07 Ram half-ton was able to tow up to 8K I believe. I'm guessing the new ones can probably tow more. How heavy is your trailer when it's loaded?

13. drtumolo

drtumolo Member

I am thinking about one of the following plows.
    Sno dogg MD80
    Western HTS
    Myers Home plow Full Hydraulic Power - Blade Length - 7'6"

Any thoughts? Please keep in mind that I will only be plowing my own 1/3 mile gravel driveway.

14. coke813

coke813 Member

All plows pretty much do the same thing in the snow. the biggest difference is in the mounting brackets and hardware.

I own the Western HTS. I'll tell you the biggest pro for me was the removable receiver brackets. I like having full ground clearance when I'm not plowing. The only con I have noticed so far is that there is not a chain lift, but rather only the hydraulic ram, so it has limited stacking height. The flip side of this is you can get down pressure for backdragging. not a big deal for my driveway, but something to be aware of.

I have no experience with snodogg. My opinion with the Meyer home plow- you get what you pay for. Its a lot cheaper, but it is super light duty. I wouldn't want to bother with something that small/ cheap. but if you really only plow your driveway and don't get a ton of snow, it could work for you.

I hope that helps somewhat.

15. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You have scrape lock, that's not the same as down pressure. The only plow with down pressure is Snoway. OP, you'll be fine with either one of the first two. I personally would go with the MD, but I've had good experiences with Snowdogg. The above poster is right about the Western and the removable receivers though. My mount hangs low and I have to pay attention when pulling up to curbs.

16. coke813

coke813 Member

Harleyjeff, thanks for pointing that out, I guess I wasn't thinking about it, but yes, rather than the cylinder actually pushing the plow down, all it does is not let it lift up. I haven't used the new plow yet, just got it this year. upgraded from an old Unimount.

17. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I will vouch for the Snowdogg. Ram 1500 with an MD75. Going on five years now... Not one failue... The only downside is they takle time to figure out the mounting process. It's not hard just finnicky.

18. drtumolo

drtumolo Member

I guess I am adding two more plows to the mix. I am looking at a last years model Blizzard 8000LT and this years model snowex 8000RD. Both are new and both the same price. All my local dealers are trying to convince me not to go with Snowdogg. They are saying to stick with western, blizzard, snowex or fisher. They all are about the same price new. Recommendations?

19. coke813

coke813 Member

Which brand to choose is a hard question. Its like asking what restaurant is the best. Everybody on here will tell you the brand they own is the best one. I only know Westerns.
    As far as I know any straight blade is going to push snow the same way. The variables are the mounting brackets and your choice of dealership. It sounds like you have talked to several dealers- have you been there in person and seen how the plows all operate/mount? If you have found any differences between each plow, which one do you like better? You are the one who has to mount it/ service it for yourself.

20. drtumolo

drtumolo Member

I only have talked to them by phone. I was pretty much set on a snowdogg but then every dealer I talked to was telling me the same thing about them. They said they are produced to hit a price point and that they used inferior hydraulic parts. I have no idea if that is true but more than one dealer told me exactly the same thing so I became concerned. The only plow I have ever owned is a western with the old uni mount system. It was a good plow but the western LT doesnt come in 8' so that is why I am looking at the other brands. From what I have been told the blizzard, snowex and western all use the western ultra mount so hookup should be the same between them.