1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 ton plow question...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by XLC93, Nov 4, 2009.

1. XLC93

XLC93 Junior Member

On the BOSS website they say a GM 1/2 ton can only handle a standard duty 7'6" blade that weighs 572 pounds. My question is, do you think it would be safe to put a 7'6" power v that weighs 714 pounds. Only a 142 pound difference....

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Safe stock? Not really. But we all overload our trucks and as long as you are not plowing with a passenger I am sure you will be good.

What I would do is get some Timbrens. I would also probably replace my tie-rod ends/ball-joints/pitman arm and idler arm with either NAPA heavy duty or Moog stuff and some great HD front shocks. I would also make sure I greased it after each plowing event.

That is what I would do and others may say different.

I abuse my truck every winter and in the past had a light duty 1988 GMC 2500 with a heavy Western Pro plow on it. I replaced the front end with Moog stuff and had a set of Timbrens and the front dint budge when I raised the blade.
  3. dingybigfoot

dingybigfoot Senior Member

i just set up a chevy 1/2 ton back up with a 7"6 western on it.
    i upgraded the suspension to a 3/4 ton, did all the joints,front shocks and brakes.
    snow has yet to fly. but I should be good.
  4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

There is a guy on here with a Jeep Wrangler boss 7 1/2' V Plow. I've also seen a new style Toyota Tundra with a Boss 7 1/2' V Plow as well, so yes I'd say you can do it.
  5. XLC93

XLC93 Junior Member

Yea i was def going to get timbrens no matter what i ended up getting
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Have you ever heard the saying "The straw that broke the camel's back."?
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sure do it. the plow manufacturers are a bunch of old ladies. They don't want sued for recommending something that will create problems, exceed the federal statues, or create a potential liability issue. Ignore them Listen to this guy:rolleyes:

He knows what you should do, after this winter he may even have some experience. If he has to use his back up.:cool:

Plowmeister does not have your typical jeep, for what he has invested in up-grades you could trade up to a 3/4 ton and carry a real plow with out fear of vehicle failure. As for that Tundra, we've seen pictures:laughing:

That's crazy talk, come on Mick, you know they can do this, us old timers get all bogged down with memories of our experiences over the years. That's history, these young guys are not ready to except the limits of the physical world. They are still naive enough to think will power will overcome reality. But it's a good thing. This is what leads to those mid winter,"what do I do now" posts:D
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Sorry, Basher, I had a moment that I forgot how the "expert" knows more than the researcher who's spent years determining weight limits, stress points etc.

It should work because he wants it to, shouldn't it?
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I like it, but then I'm in the repair businesspayup
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Could you explain what exactly you did to upgrade it? I have a Tahoe I want to beef up.
  11. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I just bought a 2003 Ford F150 with only 18,000 miles on it. I then got a deal on a "as new" Western PRO series 7.5 Unimount plow. I saved over $2000 by going with the Unimount over a standard duty Ultramount. I was worried that I would have to do suspension work and that the PRO series plow would be too heavy, but it appears that after the install everything is OK and I didn't even need to upgrade the suspension. I just had it installed last week, didn't plow any snow yet but it rides OK down the road...
  12. V - on a half ton

I dont carry more than a 7.5 'beefed up' standard Boss (extra spring,shock, yard guard and a backdrag blade) but I have now seen one Bronco with a V and a friend in MN has
    a older Bronco with a V. He went to the heavy springs+Timbrens+ airbags.
    I am amazed since I know what my front end looks like with my plow.

Can be done, but I would plan ahead. And wish for a solid axle up front

13. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Our '06 1500 is rated for, and carries a 7'6" V Boss since Jan '08, it's fine, (except for the dent in the drivers door the driver did when he spun the truck pushing snow up a pile). The plow is at the bottom of the 'plow choice' build list on the Boss webiite.
  14. heather lawn spray

If you have the 5.3 litre engine you can't use the V plow. The 4.3 and 4.8 engine can use the V plow, according to the Boss website
  15. marioazcats/nh

marioazcats/nh Junior Member

extra spring?

Does the extra spring keep it from tripping?? Just curious!
  16. procut

procut Senior Member

Ok, lots of good points here, but I'm going to bring up something that I haven't seen mentined yet. You say, its only 143 pounds, can't be a big deal, right? It's not the 143 pounds, but when you get to the end of a pass, and V in scoop is full of heavy wet snow, think of how much that weighs. What sold me on this theory was when I put a set of wings on my 2500HD, before the front end barely went down when the plow was raised. Witht he wings, at the end of a pass, lift the plow and wow, the front goes down atleast a couple more inches, so it's not just the weight of the plow, its the weight of the snow itself that needs to be considered.
  17. marioazcats/nh

marioazcats/nh Junior Member

i would like to know if anyone has any experience with a Boss standard duty plow. Do they trip easy? Are they durable?
  18. heather lawn spray

This is one of the considerations we thought about when commissioning the short box half ton with a V-Boss. It's duty shift would be only for short time cycle and 2 to 3 truck length pushes. No 200 yards pushes, for that bring in the diesel heavy 3/4 ton's