1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 Ton Plow - 7'6" BossHTX or SnowEx RD

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by doolin64, Sep 7, 2015.

1. doolin64

doolin64 Junior Member

Hi guys,

I purchased a 2015 Ford F150 with the "plow package". I'm only going to be plowing my driveway, and two of my income property driveways. Most likely I'll have to plow out my sisters house as well. My only true "plowing" experience is with my ATV's over the years.

Needless to say, I understand these trucks are not made for commercial plowing and I have no intention of doing so.

I don't want to get into a brand war or puffing the chest about this one or that one is the best. What I would like is comments as to problem areas with either brands. Things that I should watch out for etc. I picked these two brands because I have dealers close to me. There is also a ton of Fisher dealers but Fisher only homesteader plow and that's lighter duty than want to go.

I'd also really like to see the plow mounts on these trucks without a plow attached.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Snowex is brand new and you won't find much on it. And being a 2015 Ford, you won't find much either.

3. doolin64

doolin64 Junior Member

I'm looking more for brand information as opposed to information on the F150. I thought the SnowEx was just a rebranded Blizzard?

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

"A New Half-Ton Boss Plow

We tested a 2015 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 F-150 using a 7.5-foot-wide lightweight plow from Boss Snowplow; it was specifically designed for this pickup. From the straightforward hand controller to the 30-second hookup and unhook functionality, this plow was incredibly easy to use.

The F-150 plow package is offered on XL, XLT and Lariat models in all cab configurations with four-wheel drive; each has a recommended maximum weight limit of 450 pounds for the snowplow. Our test unit had a stainless-steel HTX plow developed by Boss Snowplow for half-ton and smaller pickups and SUVs. A 7-foot Boss blade typically weighs about 380 pounds, while the 7.5-foot blade weighs about 430 pounds. The plow has a thicker rubber pads at the top and bottom of the blade and includes a hydraulic cylinder lift as well as LED lighting."

"furd says it is just beginning to offer the package for half-ton pickups and many dealerships are ordering the option for trucks to be sold off their lots. Currently, Ford has about 1,100 orders for the Snow Plow Prep Package (just $50), which requires some changes to the software program via a dedicated plow switch found on the F-150 instrument panel and an extra hot wire near the driver's knee to power the plow joystick toggle. With that option loaded, customers can then take their truck to a third-party plow manufacturer for additional electrical wiring and under-frame hardware items.

One drawback to this package is that owners of any trim level will lose their seat heater capability. Ford engineers said it's an issue of sacrificing something to handle the additional electrical load for the snowplow. The seat heaters were deemed the least critical choice.
    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/02/2015-ford-f-150-offers-50-snow-plow-prep-package.html

go Boss

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

What....no Hot seat?

Does SnowEx even offer a plow for the 15?

6. dieselss

The blade...yes.
    The mounting....no

You asked for pics, and being a 2015 there's not that many yet of the mounts

7. 1olddogtwo

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

'''''''''''''''''

snow-plow-f-150-660.jpg

6a00d83451b3c669e201bb07f692c7970d-800wi.jpg

9. dieselss

10. 1olddogtwo

I was focused on the Ford..... I like Toros.

11. dieselss

He'll of a good snowblower

https://youtu.be/VDRo3i62tz8

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  12. doolin64

doolin64 Junior Member

Thanks guys. I am leaning towards Boss. Snowex does make a mount for '15. It's part number 38600. As for the videos and pictures, I just wish they'd show the truck unmounted then show it getting mounted up. I'd like to the least intrusive plow I could get.

I could also go fisher and put an SD plow on it, but I'll be over Ford's and Fisher's recommended weight due to my cab configuration and GVRW.

It wasn't until I was at my local county fair this weekend that even found Snowex as a brand.

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Are you going to be doing some extreme off road driving with your new truck?
    if not the mount is of no consequence.

you will see even the most insignificant mount.

14. dieselss

. Snowex does make a mount for '15. It's part number 38600. As for the videos and pictures, I just wish they'd show the truck unmounted then show it getting mounted up. I'd like to the least intrusive plow I could get.

That was my point. There's not many pictures of this yet. And as sno said mount is not that big of a deal

15. 1olddogtwo

It can't be any worse then Toro's

16. doolin64

doolin64 Junior Member

Ive seen a few Snoway mounts that appear to hang very low. Certainly no extreme off road in my future.

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Lol
    Didn't know no~way was on the table

My boss mounts hang above the or at the mid-line of my axel.
    If it hits the rock in the trail;) so will my axel.
    And if the approach angle is to steep do you really need to up there in your new truck?

Plow trucks don't make good play trucks and vicea versa.
    But that doesn't mean you can't go off road with your plow truck,
    Just think where every thing is...

18. 1olddogtwo

have you look at this video?

mounts just like a Western with removable parts for the off season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlqB5ehXn4A

19. doolin64

doolin64 Junior Member

I did not see that video. That is exactly what I was looking for, right at 3:01 on the video. The brackets stick out far. Thankfully they are removable.

20. coke813

coke813 Member

I had the same question about my 2015 Silverado 1500. I haven't gotten the plow yet, but I'm leaning toward a western for that exact reason. I didn't like how my old mount would sometimes hit a curb or parking block if I got too close. With the new Western removable brackets, you aren't sacrificing any clearance in the off-season. I like the boss plows, but their mounting bracket hangs really low.

If you're curious, I have some close up pictures of the mounts in this thread: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=162764
    2014-2015 Chevy/ GMC 1500 1/2 ton plow selection help