1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 Ton Pick-Up Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jjklongisland, Nov 9, 2007.

1. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

OK, I currently have my 89 Dodge Ram W250 for sale with an 8' Meyers and I am thinking of replacing her with a newer 1/2 Ton Extended or Club Pick-up. My Ram is an awesome powerful snow pushing monster but I need the room in the cab for when I go camping and stuff (just had a baby, and if I put the baby seat in the cab then the wife will have to go in the bed...Just Kidding) I am looking for an early 01 or 02 Chevy or GMC with a 5.3... What plows do you guys suggest that isn't going to break the bank. I only plow a couple of local lots (between 8 and 10 hours per storm)... I definately want a plow that is removeable (unlike my Dodge where the frame is always attached to her) and either 7.5' or less. The truck I am going to buy will probably be my daily driver for about a year or so... (along with the Ram for sale I am also selling my 02 Nissan Maxima) trying to consolodate...

How do the 02 and newer 1/2 Ton Quad Cab Dodges plow? Not too much of a Ford 150 fan.

Any help would be appreciated....

2. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Quad Cab

I purchsed an 04 quad cab with the Hemi a couple years ago. I was told then that plows were not recommended. I went to my local Boss dealer and we talked about it and he said that the truck would handle the 7-6 just fine. So thats what I did. I am really happy with the way it handles and it pushes the snow great. I put 400 lbs in the back which really makes a difference. Its my daily driver when my other trucks are out and I use it just as a back up if need be. But for the plow is no problem so far.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If your putting a plow on a half ton truck I would go no less than 7.6ft. I just put a 7.6ft western unimount on my truck and angled it clears my tires by about 1.5-2" on each side.

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

the 150(05) has bascly no recomended plows and has a very light front end. its a roll of the dice to put a plow on a 1/2.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Put Snoway 26 series on a number of 1500 dodges with great success

6. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i had a 8FT fisher MM1 on my 2001 dodge ram 1500 "off road" pkg. plowed excellent. but i want to downgrade to a 7.6ft because my truck is daily driven and dont want to beat the front end more then i have to.

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I second the sno-way. A 26 is ideal and you could even put a 7'6 29.

Cheers
    Jeff

8. jjklongisland

Thanks for the help guys... I see people all the time with plows on 1/2 tons but I just wanted to know how they performed from the professionals... I had a 7.5 foot meyers on my 84 rmacharger and she plowed fine and i see people with plows on 1500 suburbans and tahoes... I guess I have to decide if I want a Chevy/GMC or a Dodge Ram. For some reasons I can get a newer 4 door Dodge Ram (like 04 with Hemi and around 30k miles) for around the same price as an 02 Chevy or GMC with 40-50k... The resale value on the rams arent as good as the chevy's... I had an 01 Durango R/T which was a awesome looking and performing truck but thank god I had a warranty cause my rear end let go twice, my tranny had problems and my transfer case blew and that was all from 14k miles to around 70k... Once my warranty ran out I got rid of her... Lots of problems which I would like to avoid...

And Mark, your truck looks great... I wish I could find a low mile 97 or 98 but its hard...

9. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

half tons do great, don't let anyone full you. just don't over load them with salt. now when you get that heavy heavy wet stuff you might need some weight in the back to help you out. Over the years I've talked to alot of NEW dealers and mostly the younger guys want to under estimate the half tons just by looking at specs and recommendations. If you're in buffalo or somewhere where you're getting mass amounts of lake effect snow I wouldn't want to beat the hell out of the truck all season long, have the tranny and such go out then the dealer now cover it. but if it's paid for and you no longer have a warranty, hell with it good tires, lots of ballast, a strong motor and a lock in 4wd. you'll have no problems. Go with a 7.6 if its a sno way or another lighter plow it wouldn't hurt to go with an 8'

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  10. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Quad

I know the chevy and ford guys will probably jump all over this but if you do go with the 04 dodge, hemi combo and put a plow on your definately going to want to have weight in back. I use 400 lbs. Its because they have so much power and without weight your going to find the back end spinning more then not. and you want all your wheels working not just the front. As for resale, I know everyone goes by either kelly or nada but I think it has to do a lot with your area and what is prefered. In Alaska you see more Dodges with plows then other trucks. when I bought my 04 it only had 6500 miles on it and I got a good deal, 21500. According to Nada or Kelly it still books out close to that. Main thing though is get the truck your going to be happy with. All the rest of us did. lol

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

DO NOT let the 1500 crowd sway you. A 1500 will nickel and dine you to death. The NEW 1500's especially the quad cab are not up to the task of being a plow truck.
    You plow a few lots as you said your 2500 was a "pushing monster" a 1500 will be a slug.

You used a 3/4 ton before for a reason.

Yes, you might get away for a short time with a 1500 and have no problems
    (side note)
    NEVER trust anyone who tells you they "NEVER bad any problems"
    as ALL plow trucks no matter what there size have problems.
    This statement makes me question if they really plow anything other than their own drive.

Ask anyone who use to plow with a 1500 who now uses a 2500 or bigger if they would go back to a 1500.

You will not like plowing a lots with a 1500 and a 7.5, Which is to narrow for a full size truck anyway.

Do your self a favor and get a 2500 and at least a 8.+

12. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

What difference does axle capacity have to do with putting a plow on or not as long as its within spec. Id bet theres more plows on half tons than any other truck ever made, and by a long margin too. If I ever buy new, Im buying a 1 ton of course but thats for bed payload capacity, and towing specifications.
    I can tell you this much. There isn't a truck made that "Likes" having 700 lbs or so hung off its nose. If I had to, I'd have no concern hanging a seven and a half foot blade on a half ton.

If you wanted to be thorough youd upgrade the springs and add timbrens on the front at least. But the frame is capable of handling the weight distribution.

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Absolutely none;)

Maybe you think you see more 1500 with plows because they made more 1500 than any other size.
    It is still not a good business decision to down size to a 1500 for plowing lots like he does.

You are right, it is hard on all trucks to carry a plow.
    I guess a 1500 would work if you like to replacing ball joints and
    running over weight on your front axle..

The difference is IFS and or dana 44 for a 1500 or a dana 60 up front for the 2500 and heaver springs too

14. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I'd never downgrade unless I had too. Something else to consider is the new DOT requirements for anything over 10,000 gvwr. 1/2 tons skirt that regulation. being rated at 8500 or whatever.
    I've noticed Dodge doesn't recommend putting a plow on any vehicle that has more than a standard cab. I think even the 3500 series. The snow plow prep group option isnt available for extended cabs.

I do believe.

But I think if you aren't overloaded it's more about stability, geometry of the vehicle, and spring rates.

Are the ball joints etc any more heavy duty on a 3/4 ton than they are on a 1/2 ton? I know the spring rates are higher.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Take a good look at the front of a new dodge 1500 then compare it to the 2500, do the same with chevy and ford. The 1500's all resemble Toyotas and Titans were The 2500 are more reminiscent of Medium and Large truck frames. 1500's have their place but with very rare exceptions are not in the same class with 2500 anymore.

16. jjklongisland

I agree with what you say about the 3/4 tons being a better plow truck but as I said before I only plow about 8 to 10 hours per storm and on L.I. we only get a few storms a year. The chevy 5.3 has plenty of power to push through any snow... I am not worrying about it being a slug I worry about lots of front end trouble... The plow will only be connected to the front of my truck during a snow event... I have 2 concrete curb stops that have to weigh 250 each that i put in the back of my dodge...

Another problem with L.I. is gas prices. I drive 35 miles each way to work and at 3.25 per gallon and going up I am afraid a 6.0 gas motor will be way too bad on gas... Especially since oil is almost at 100 per barrel. I do not really need a 3/4 ton for everyday use, I dont pull any trailers or anything although its nice to have the extra capacity. At first I was looking for an 02 or 03 F250 Club cab 7.3 diesel because of the gas mileage and longevity but on Long Island 5,500 lbs is the heaviest vehicle allowed on the parkways which I drive everyday... So that put a big stop to that... I am not putting a sander or salter in the back just a little plowing at a local school about 3 miles from my house and a big church lot...

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:eek: We just get carried away with ourselves.

Your 1500 should do what you need admirably. Don't listen to the "hang what ever you want" school of thought. Buy a properly matched plow. I prefer the Snoway 26 series:cool: but the other lesser:rolleyes: plows are capable of doing the job if you must use them:nod:

Remember that if you buy a 1500 series plow if might not be heavy enough if you go back to a 2500.

18. mike0955

mike0955 Junior Member

I see a ton of half ton plow trucks around here, most with 7.5' standard or HD plows on them. I plowed with a 3/4 ton ford diesel last year, and have since sold that truck and bought the 99 silverado 1/2 ton extended cab I am running now. It seems to carry the 7.5' pro unimount quite well. I'm not sure if it will push snow like the diesel, but its a heck of a lot more pleasurable to drive the 97% of the time I don't have the plow on.

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

On the Dana 60 axle you will find that the ball joints, axle joints and the carrier(ring and pinon) and axles are much bigger than the Dana 44 or the Ifs

:yow!: :realmad: Never mind LLM, I mean snowpower I forgot who you were,are.

20. jjklongisland

Snowfarmer, All of the 2500 series Chevy's that I have seen all have the 4.11's which gets 10-12 mpg max. At least the 5.3 are getting between 14 and 16 all day long...