1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 Ton owners.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bolts Indus., Dec 31, 2003.

1. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

First let me say I run a 1 Ton at present. I have run 1/4 and 1/2 tons my entire long life. There is absolutely nothing wrong in running a late model 1/2 ton for light commercial work if your plow is matched to the vehicle. The plow for a 1/2 ton should be in the 550 lb. range. example being a 7' 6"
    blade. The problem is we still think of the older heavier 1/2 tons and want the old 750 lb. blade. I recently lost a sale because I would not equip a guy's 1/2 ton with the heavy blade and another well known brand dealer would. I explained why but the customer insisted. I'm sure he and the dealer will regret this in the spring but what can you do. Beware of eager salesman that do not know the product and only want to make a sale. When you buy make sure you are talking to someone there that knows snowplows. A lot of companys make good plows but their reputation is in the hands of the salesman who may or may not know what he is talking about. If you are properly matched and maintain your product and drive it accordingly you will have few problems.

Right job, Right tool still applies.
  2. Bolts Indus.

If you put the correct plow on your truck versus the wrong one you have a better case for your truck tranny warranty when you cook it.
    If you abuse a vehicle ( small truck,big job ) then the vehicle dealer is not going to be to happy to help you.
  3. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

Bolts, Thanks for your input in these threads! My dealer sounds a lot like you!. When I wanted a plow he told me "Don't even think about an 8 foot plow for your truck". It is a 2000 GMC 1500 ext cab 5.3 Z71. Ended up with a Fisher RD 7.5 plus added timbrens.
    My Truck dealer told me that as long as I did limited residential plowing. my warranty was good. Also for others reading this, Chevy/ GMC DOES NOT offer the plow prep on 1/2 ton ext. cab trucks!. Cant understand why.
  4. Bolts Indus.

You are welcome. It is in the interest of all dealers to help you make informed decisions. A happy customer comes back.
  5. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

The extended cab has a lower GVWR than a standard cab truck . That limits how much payload you can carry. Just a plow on an extended cab 1/2 probably will push you near your limit of the gvwr. This is why almost no one recomends a plow on a 3/4 ton ext cab diesel truck. The motor eats up almost all of the weight carring capacity of the 3/4 ton and doesn't leave much room for cargo and accessories.
  6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

A 1/2 ton GM reg. cab has a 6100 lb. GVW.
    The 1/2 ton ex-cab has a 6400 lb. GVW.

The reason no plow prep on 1/2 ex-cabs is GVWR.

GM figures you will plow with 6 passengers and plow and
    exceed the 6400 lb. GVWR with the ex-cab.

On a reg. cab 1/2 GM figures you will plow with 3 passengers
    and plow and not exceed the 6100 lb. GVWR.

Strange but TRUE !!!!!!!! ............geo
  7. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

Sittin here laughin like heck! sonjabb. I plow alone so I should be ok:)
  8. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

kind of what i was talking about in my thread (about different answers)
    so many places don't know what they are selling so you need to make sure for your your self that the guy you will be buying from knows more than you
  9. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We have run everything from CJ5s to 2 ton dumps to push snow and weight matters to me. The lightest truck we use now is a 1 ton utility bed. They seem to push snow effortlessly. Also on commercial work, the extra 6" or 12" blade makes a significant difference. That's why I am now looking at the Blizzard 810 for next season. I hope it can deliver for the price.
  10. Bolts Indus.

And it will give you change back.
  11. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

so for a 94 f150 with added suspension, does this mean i cant get a plow over 550lbs? i didnt think they even had plows that light? i know the boss that i was looking at was around 900+. am i SOL or can you guide me to a good 7" plow with hydraulic lift in the 550lb range?
  12. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

900+ is way too heavy for a 1/2 ton with 3/4 ton springs IMO
  13. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Dave -- What you said makes perfect sense, dammit! So in the name of preserving my 02 Chevy 1500 regular cab longbed 5.3L w/ auto I've lowered my sights from the 720# Curtis to either the 630# Fisher or the 550# Blizzard 760LT. Either way I'll be better off than plowing another winter on the open Kubota. And if I mount the plow only when there's snow to move, dismounting it for the commute to work and back, maybe the old truck will give me years of service.

So while I moan about the need to downsize...thanks.

14. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Bolts is 100% right, he seems like the kind of dealer you would want to deal with, some dealers recommend plows for 1/2 tons that are WAY too LD and others will go WAY to heavy just to make a sale. As i said bolts is correct 550 LB range is what a 1/2 ton can handel. My plow weighs 750 LBS on an F-150 Ext Cab does fine no problems BUT stick with the lighter 7'6" plows, if i had known more about plows when i got it maybe i would have thought twice however the dealer i got the truck from had a deal with the local curtis dealer so i got it for much less money. The guy i got it from knew his stuff well but at the time it was either the 460 LB 7' plow or the 750 LB 7'6" 7' was too short and here i am. Timbrens, tranny cooler, larger alternator and 37 driveways to plow no problems yet (knock on Wood). If i were to do it all again i would get a Fisher 7'6" RD although iam VERY pleased with the curtis.
  15. Bolts Indus.

1/2 toners. Is that a word? Anyway, you can beef up suspension but you would also have to beef up ball joints, tie rods, frame etc. Way too costly. Stick with the 550 lb. guideline.
  16. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Bolts, good info there.....

I have decided to go with the SnoWay MT90 on my Silverado 1500 X Cab. I have been hearing from just about everyone that a 1500 will be adequate for ligth stuff, 10-20 driveways, a couple commercial accounts, that kind of stuff.
    Thanks for the help, looks like I just need to work out the details and get me a plow.