1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 Ton Guys

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bad Luck, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Have any of you have problems with the front clip sagging on your truck? The *@#&~^%*^#!@ guy that painted mine is telling me that my front fenders are out of alignment at the base of the doors because of the plow. he's telling me eventually my doors will be touching the fenders at the bottom. is this even possible with one 5-6 storms under it's belt??? :dizzy:

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Is he saying that your frame is bending???

Do you have the snow plow prep???

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Bad Luck
    That guy is out of his mind, the only way that is happening is if your frame is bent. Pretty hard to do with a plow. They gap of the fender at the bottom of the door is fit at the factory in the following way. First off there is no adjustment as to the size of the gap itself.
    If everything at the factory is welded to spec's the gap should be pretty much the same all the way down. They do adjust the fender so it is outboard of the door for wind noise. Now I'm not saying there is a way to adjust that gap if it is out of wack, but I will check with the door fitters at work tonight.

Regards Mike

4. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Frozen - Yes, he's saying that my frame is twisting. No, I do not.

Mike - That's what I thought. he was also telling me that my bumper is shifted down and that was from plowing as well. Even though I went head to head with my buddies F-250 in a shoving match that casued that. I do have some pretty big gaps in-between the doors but they were like that from the factory. I was just concerned about him saying my front frame section is twisting and moving my fenders out of alignment. This is the same JO that told me he'd take care of my paint job. I got the truck back Friday after the 4th body shop visit and it looks like they buffed the truck with sandpaper.

Thanks, Anthony

5. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

I highly doubt your plow is going to bend your frame, but, i have to ask, you really had a shoving match w/ your buiddies F250. Please explain more on this.

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The pushing match would be a lot more likely to bend the frame then plowing, as the bumper is bolted to it...

I hope you are kidding.

7. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Sorry to say Anthony there is only one thing to do - have them fix it right, take the plow off and then GET RID OF IT!
    It's sad that a dishonest SOB had to do this to ya but IMHO you can no longer rely on the truck for what you need it for...
    Rob

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

So how far did you push that F250? When I was younger we used to run a chain from receiver hitch to receiver hitch. Never occurred to us to push instead of pull.

9. frk507

frk507 Junior Member

Have you inspected the rear cab mounts up close? The rubber cab mounts can start to push through the steel frame mount causing the back of the cab to sag making door and fender clearance a problem. I've had this happen on two trucks now.

10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Bad Luck
    I talked to the supervisor of the door fitters tonight. The only adjustment on the door is to bend the lower bracket between the door and the bottom of the fender foward. There are two bolts that you can see if you open your door, the lower fender bolt is the one Im talking about. She say's you will only get about 1 mill in adjustment,not much. If I where you I would ask around and find the best frame guy in town, and swing by and let him take a look at it. If he thinks it is bent he can hang guages on the frame and tell you for sure, but I have my doubts.

Good Luck Mike

11. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Guys - Yes, I had a small "pushing" incident. My friend though it would be a good idea to nose up to my truck and tap my bumper. So in return I put her in 1, and gave a slight tap of the gas. Neither one of us went anywhere, but we both have bumper dimples. I HIGHLY doubt this would cause frame twisting, as matter of fact, I know it did not. The lateral forces were absorbed by the actual bumper mounts/cushions. As for the frame being twisted, the truck drives straight, and there are no other signs of frame shifting. I mean the truck creeks and pops when it's cold, but it always did that, there's enough weather stripping on these things to seal a house.

And if by some chance the frame is twisted, the truck if f'ed anyway, so the plow will stay on and get sold with the truck.

12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I highly doubt the frame is bent. If it was you would notice it in how the truck drives more than body panels not lining up. But I would in the future refrain from pushing matches, good way to damge a nice truck or set off the air bags?