1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 Ton F-150 for plowing!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by zach5187, Dec 16, 2007.

1. zach5187

zach5187 Junior Member

Hello everyone my name is Zach! I am 20 years old and live in Omaha Nebraska. I have been reading on this website for about I would say a year now! Everyone says that you want to use a 3/4 Ton or larger truck if you are wanting to plow anything more than residental! My problem is that i am a college student therefore money is tight. I was thinking of a rig set up consistingof a 04 or newer f-150 with a Hiniker 700 or the sport duty boss! In your opinion would this be sufficent enough to do residental accounts and small amounts of commercial? I will not be the young punk A** kid trying to be cool hitting a bank of snow at 40 mph trying to impress everyone!

2. zach5187

zach5187 Junior Member

I apoligize but another Question! What I dont understand is they recommend thes plows for S-10, Rangers, Exploders etc. IMO the f150 is more stout than mid size trucks, Is there a plow that i can use for a small amount of commercial and primary residential? That is heavier duty EX. Western Midweight?:confused:

3. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

I here u Zack i have a 01 F150 4.6L with tow package. from what i have gathered from this site and its Pros is that the 150 will only handle light duty plows ( up too 500# ) from what i get from the manufactures websites.plus any ballast it may need if I were u i would visit http://service.bossplow.com/PlowSelection.aspx and click this link and us the setup guide for your truck

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  4. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Well Zach, I have been running a 99' Dodge Ram 1500 for 4yrs now. I run with the 7"6' Pro Ultramount from Western. Just make sure you have the ballast in the back and you will be alright. By the way I only do commercial work, no residential. Hope this helps you out.

James

5. zach5187

zach5187 Junior Member

LOL This is going to sound very stupid! But Ballast is just wait? I mean is this some time of aparatic that you put in your bed or sand bags??

6. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

Ballast help even the weight the plows adds to the front end...back to the rear

7. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I have plowed commercially for the last 2 years with an 06 f 150supercab equipped with a fisher 7.5 MM2 RD plow. I installed a 2" leveling kit and run about 350 lbs of ballast up against the gate. The truck handles the plow quite well and only drops 1 - 1.5 inches with the plow raised. I have been plowing for many years with many different trucks (my current "fleet" includes an 89 f 250, a 93 k 2500, and an 03 superduty) and can honestly say this is one of the nicest trucks i have ever owned and plowed with.
    The reality is though Zach, that this truck will suffer premature part failures compared to its 3/4 and 1 ton counterparts. This is my personal plow truck and only gets as beat as i'm willing to beat it, thus prolonging the inevitable but keep in mind that the money you may save on the initial purchase will probably cost you twice as much down the road in repairs and premature replacement.
    Good luck, Roy

8. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Hey Zach...

If you decide on a boss plow, I have a brand new frame for an 03 F150...these go for $400 and you can have it for $200 if you care to pay the UPS Ground from NH...
    You can see it in the used equipment for sale section under "Hey Boss Guys"
    Save you a little money and all you'll need is the blade and wiring.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I plow commercial lots with a 98 f-150 4x4. I have a meyer st 7'5" plow installed, it weighs 656 pounds and my truck handles the plow no prob. I put timbrens all around, and have 500 pounds of ballast weight in the bed behind the rear axle. Yes I would rather have a 3/4 ton or bigger, but sometimes you have to use what you have. You have to make sure that the plow you get is at least a 7.5, so when you are at full angle, it still will clear your trucks width.

98 F-150 4x4 w/timbrens
    Meyer ST 7'5"
    Troy Bilt Storm 1130

10. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

Blade i"m betting u have the 5.4 my deal is i got the 4.6 in my 01 150

11. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i just wreckd mine today my 04 F150 long bed reg cab 4x4 meyers 7'6'' 5.4L 8500 gvw its a good truck with 500lbs in the back. till the muni plow decided it should of been a short bed

12. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

Bummer hope its not in to bad of shape,
    see i bought my 01 new has 117000 miles all highway the 4.6 a gvw of 6250 i could get a 7.5 weighing 500# or so with 300 ballast and timbrens just wondering if the 4.6 is to small for a blade that size the 01 150 does have the towing package ie tranny cooler

13. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

The 4.6 will do just fine. Just make sure a foot and a half never gets pilled up, and that your 4 low works good and you could just about push through any kind of snow.

14. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

YA truck runs ok small things a popping up now though, thanks for the advise

15. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ya i am pretty upset at the momment i am praying that no more falls i had to call my couzin and roll in his clunker. thank god i give him such a hard time about that truck because if i yell he keeps it in decent shape. i am gonna be waitin for the ins agent to call in the morning. its been a really long day out since 3 and this happend in my driveway at home. any truck with 4x4 can plow u may have to use 4low but it will work just depends for how long

16. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

well they say that 90% of all accidents happen within a mile of home

17. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping Junior Member

I use a 99 Silverado 1500 short bed, with the small V8 ....plowing with this truck is great.....small wheel base for manuvering in tight places, decent gas ,mileage....I dont abuse the truck....I have about 700lbs of balast...IMO the weight also helps with the plow down, use your mass to push the snow....

18. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

sounds good thanks

19. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Though I hardly use my truck for commercial use, it does see some (when I have to fill in for my dad) I run a 97 1500 GMC, with a 7 1/2 ' western uni pro plow. I run 420# of sand between the rear whells. The truck pushes like a tank, just try not to abuse them too bad. Let off the gas and roll into the pile, and give the truck time to go from drive to reverse and so forth and the Ford should do just fine.

20. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

I have check all the websites Boss Western Sno-Way Meyers Blizzard I'm sure I'm missing someone But either way it looks like Boss is the way to go a 7'6" str bld either poly steel or even there trip edge will work for my truck or Bliizzards 760LT

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007