1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 ton club cab + 9'2" Boss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hyperpack, Nov 14, 2002.

1. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

I got tired of the rear wheels of the old Dodge running in the windrow on the circle drives, moved up from the 8'2" boss.
    1975 W100 318 3 speed on the column dual stacks 9'2" V plow.

I want add down pressure to the plow it has a chain lift now, Any ideas on how I can make this work with existing pump?
    Thank you
    Hyperpack

2. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I think your truck is too light for the plow..... I have never heard of a way to make a gravity plow work with hyd. down pressure.

3. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Hum

I'll take a stab at it

the cylinder on the lift is a single acting cylinder
    you would need to replace it with a double acting cylinder

then instead of the chains you would have to make a solid
    link

I'm not sure about the controls part
    but that shouldn't be that hard

It could be done, but why?
    that's a heavy plow

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Hyperpack, I just looked it up on a Boss site - that plow weighs over 900 pounds (poly or steel). I don't think you'd gain anything with down pressure.

5. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

yup know way that truck is going to last with that big plow.i had a hiniker c plow 8ft 1200 lbs on my f-250 LD and i had alot of problems with the front end blowing out tires torsion bars even a part of the frame where the shocks mounted broke clean off on both sides what a mess that was.i had to make my own brackets to replace the ones that snapped off.truck has never been the same since that happened.i had load boosters and bigger off road type T bars and it did know good.740 lbs is as high as i would go with any 1/2 truck even with that you will run into problems to.be careful

6. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I'm far from an expert when it comes to mechanicals and equipment. With that being said, I have heard that the older trucks like the one you are talking about have quite a bit more beef to them and will handle quite a bit more than the newer trucks.

Maybe you will get away with it because it is older. If it was a newer truck everyone would agree that is too much plow for the truck. I'm sure there is someone here that has maxxed out the capacity of an older truck and can tell you if yours will handle a plow that heavy.

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

On the older trucks the makers used the same front end in the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. Differnt spring rates on the leafs, so with an add a leaf, or higher cap spring set he would be ok. Might a few more lbs of ballast in the rear.
    Now the makers have the same front axels in the 3/4 HD and 1 tons, to give an idea of trucks have been made less stout in order to save money. But also in response to the market needs that 1/2 tons are more of a commuter vehicle now and less of a work truck.
    In fact I saw a Tundra yesterday with a western Suburbanite plow on it, and that front end was slammed.
    Dino

8. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

One of our old members from a few years back, LAZER, would rig his RT II Boss' to get down pressure. The switch on the front tower which moves the tower up was rigged to put power down from in the cab. He said it was simple and effective.

Maybe Kent Lawns would know more details.

9. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Huh????

10. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Sorry , I thought you were from the same area he was, and maybe it was a regional thing.

11. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I asked the BOSS tech rep about DP he said the framework on the truck was not designed to handle downpressure. They do not recomend rigging the switch to force it into DP. This can be done on any of the smart hitch models, but may cause frame work problems.

I have tried it on a previous blade/truck but did not care for the results;
    High charging system drain.
    Would scrape the sealcoat right off of the blacktop.
    Impared blade tripping (worse than normal for V).
    Impared steering ability.

12. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Early on we put 9'2" V's on 3/4 ton Dodge's and Ford's. Tore up the front ends and had to rebuild two of them. Changed over to 8'2"s and no problems.

I cannot imagine putting a 9'2" on a half ton......

Well... I can imagine it, but the image ain't pretty.

13. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

I do not think it`s wise

Just my 2 cents . A 1/2 ton truck is not built for that size plow the brakes are smaller and the hole front end is not built for that much weight. Insurance Companies will love it if you get into an auto accident if gun company can be respondable for someone shooting someone with there gun. Will you be respondable for the overloading of the braking sys and truck gvwr. I would not want 12 people telling me what I owe a million or so to someone just my two cents

14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

That truck will have a dana44 front axel, rated at 4400 lbs, swap in a Dana 60 and you wont have any trouble. The 44 is a bit small.
    Dino

15. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Probably don't need down pressure

I have been at the hunting camp for a few days, Still waiting for the first snow this year want to try out the big plow.
    I know most people would not run a rig like this but I do not see this as a safety issue.
    This old Power Wagon has served me well for 10+ years,2 years ago I bought a 1 ton and retired this 1/2 ton to backup rig
    only sees about 50 hrs a year plowing now.
    I used this rig plowing residential for the Township 90 driveways for 8 years all within about 6 miles,In big storms it took nearly 24 hours to finish.
    I have a set of 10 ply recap tires a couple extra leaves in the front springs and 800 pounds ballast in back.
    The only drivtrain or suspension parts I ever replaced are shocks and brakes every couple years and new Ujoints in the Dana 44 every year,Nothing ever broke just wore out fast.
    It has 3.23 gears full time 4 wheel sees alot of low range but at 120,000 miles still has the original clutch.I plan to use this rig with the 9'2" boss for a couple more years and don't expect much trouble.I do miss the fulltime 4wd on the newer truck but the auto trans and Dana 60 have held up well.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Hyperpack