1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 ton brake and suspension questions... any input appreciated

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by FLASHMAN, Oct 4, 2006.

1. FLASHMAN

FLASHMAN Member

I have a '98 1/2 ton GMC that I just installed a 7 1/2 foot Curtis on... Timbrens front and rear, but I have a question regarding brake and suspension upgrades:

1. When doing a brakejob, and replacing rotors/pads, is it reccommended to go with upgrade parts such as slotted rotors, and/or ceramic pads?

2. When replacing your stock shocks, what's a good upgradefor them as well?

Truck is stock ride height, stock tire size, just looking to beef up those components when they need replacing... Any input greatly appreciated, thanks

Dave

2. FLASHMAN

FLASHMAN Member

Bump.... ANYONE????

3. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Till this year I had an 02 Chevy 1500 WT with a 7.5 Curtis plow. Timbrens front and rear, with sand bags for ballast in the rear handled the weight of the plow just fine, though I never plowed more than my own land and dirt road. I stayed with the OE pads and rotors and never had a problem with them. As for shocks, when it came time to replace them I went with Monroe which were much nicer than OE and the least expensive option to boot. They have a $$$ back deal going till the end of the month.

Pete

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Oem

I have been plowing since 98' with half tons and and only did front brakes on my 93' twice since I have owned it (98') and I used it as a daily driver till this spring when I bought my 99' as far as parts I have replaced them with after market replacement parts no upgrades as a matter of fact I just assume not spend the extra money on brake pads and rotors seeing how they don't last any longer, just my opinoin.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006