1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 ton axles

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by midwestmike, Sep 28, 2003.

1. midwestmike

midwestmike Junior Member
    from midwest

I have a 1985 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 shortbox with 342 gears in the 10 bolt axles. My question is how many spline axles will I have? I am trying to find a posi unit for the rear or a axle with posi or just a different set of axles But with posi?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

They would be either 30 or 33 spline axles.You would probably have to pop one out and count them to make sure.If you get a used posi,just make sure it matches what you have,or get the axles to go with it.

Another cheap option is to go with a Lock-right.A fairly simple install and works just like a mini locker.

3. midwestmike

midwestmike Junior Member
    from midwest

what is a lock-right , how hard is to install and how much are they

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

A lock-right replaces the side\pinion gears in the differential with a mini locker unit.

It's very simple to install.Drop the cover,slide the axles out a bit,pull the cross shaft,and remove the side\pinion gears.The unit now pops in place and everything else goes back in.

They work great,unless your running a big motor,and huge tires.You'd need a true locker for that.They do have a minor clicking noise going around turns,but that is normal with any locker.

I'm not sure on price,but the last one I got was near $400.00 CDN shipped to my door.They would be a lot cheaper in the US,probably $250 or so.

Check out http://www.powertrax.com/locker.htm for more info.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2003