1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 Ton -> 3/4 Ton Conversion

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MeeksCo, Sep 28, 2009.

1. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Can you convert a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 or 1 ton suspension?
    If so, (I'm sure it's not a brief desciption) what would it take and where should I start?

..."Maybe you should just sell your 1/2 ton and buy a 3/4 or 1"...
    Ha. I know that this is the obvious answer.

There are a lot of pro's on this site and I figured I can get a chance to pick your brains about it. Thanks.
    ?
    http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/1362285230.html
    ?

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Even if you upgrade the springs/suspension- you won't have a "true" 3/4 or 1 ton truck, in order to have that, you need to have the HD powertrain (trans, t-case, diff's, etc), and the HD frame- if you're going to go through all that trouble you might'd as well just take the body off your truck and "plop" it onto a 2500 or 3500 frame and call it good...

I'd just go out and buy a 2500 or 3500 if you're that in love with the 88 to 99 body style...or a 2500HD if you're wanting a newer truck... just my $.02

3. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Ultimately, I am going to purchase a 2500HD 1999-2002. I dont like the look of the Chevy's from 2003 and on unless it's a GMC.

My main concern is the ability to haul more in the bed.
    She won't let me make a big purchase this year. We just bought a house and the new kitchen and paver stoned patio that I am working my a** off to do is not worth it enough for me to upgrade trucks. Go figure, right?

I'll buy one in the spring from down south.

4. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

The biggest difference i noticed between my 2500hd and my dads 1500 is the size of the frame. Its got to be a good 2-3" taller on the 2500hd. That would make a huge difference in payload if thats what your looking for.

5. If all you want to do is haul more in the bed and are buying a bigger truck soon, I would suggest finding a spring shop in your area. They can re-arch, add leafs, and or replace the springs on your 1500.
    Frame strength is important, but springs should work in the short term.

6. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Yea, that's probabley what I am going to end up doing. I can understand the frame difference and importance. I am only looking to put an extra 3-400lbs in the bed then what it's rated for.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Calling around tomorrow.

7. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

What do you plan on hauling?

8. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Palet of salt.
    Larger spreader.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  9. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Save your money and buy a 2500hd, completely different truck from a 1500 except for the look.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Get a set of timbrens, cheapest way to fake a 1/2 into thinking its a 3/4:D

11. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

air lift air bags i have them on all my trucks and love them

12. badabing1512

Frame and axle ratings are much lower in a 1500

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No matter what you do, unless you have an inspection done and a new sticker on the door frame, you will have a 1/2 ton truck in the eyes of the law.

14. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Even works on s-10's
    Listen to mark, I beefed up my S-10 but the local law, still give me a ticket, I was only headed down the road 2 miles to wal-mart..

Should of stuck to bag salt, damn V-Box costin me lots of money!

15. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I put 3/4 ton springs on a 1500 truck so I could haul more, which I could. The biggest issue was braking. The brakes are not design to stop the truck with the extra weight on it.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That's from a man with real world experance, you can not beat that kind of advice. "Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it"

17. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I know legally you cant haul more than what the truck is rated for, but 300-400 lbs shouldn't be a problem for the truck. I put 2400lb pallets of salt in a 1/2 ton all winter last year. :) That's 1000 lbs more.. and honestly it wasn't terrible.

I know I know.. I'm an idiot. Oh well. Now we have 2 3/4 tons. Problem solved. Until we put a 2 yard V in it...

18. badabing1512

buy a 2500, end of story