1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2" overnight gave me 2 feet to plow.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ECS, Feb 23, 2006.

1. ECS

ECS Senior Member

In the past week we have had a tootal of about 1" of new snow. Last night we got about half an inch but was also very windy. I had up to 2 feet of snow in my drives. One drive could not be penetrated even with my BOSS V blade. I had to call a loader in for Friday morning to open it and widen it for me. There is just no where left for the snow to be pushed to.

It is a straight drive of maybe just over 100 yards long and even though I widened last week, there is no room for the snow to go to the sides today and ended up with a friggin mountain of snow in front of me. It was hell getting backed out of there as the blade kept hanging up on all the snow. Had to widen it a little and make the pile in front of me a little bigger and then back out with the V inverted.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Good description. I can picture it well. Sounds like a good candidate for some snow fencing. Do you ever set any up for your jobs. I imagine you have a lot of work out in the wide open.
  3. ECS

ECS Senior Member

The snow and wind this year has been great for the snow removal business. Fencing would limit the plow days I have also. If there was a fence there, it would be just about buried by now. There is a buckrail fence there which has just the top foot showing at most. This is a 4-4 1/2 foot fence. Totally burried. The escavators are working 7 days a week to keep the roads and drives open, graders, loaders and rotors. The snow on the side of the roads in this area is 6 feet high now.
  4. chevyplowman

chevyplowman Junior Member

I wish I could take some of those troubles away. We have no snow on the ground and I think I'm going to have to mow tomorrow. Yikes, I just put that mower away about two months ago. Enjoy that snow for me.
  5. Rappa

Rappa Member

Must be nice!
  6. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

send it this way, I have to look to find snow up here. Weird winter up in the northeast with little to no snow.
  7. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Snowing & blowing right now, so guess I will be out again tomorrow. I think this is the most snow in the valley in many years.
  8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

At least someones making money--we're all board! Didn't have enough snow this year to fix anything--so we can't even repair anything!!!!
  9. snatchal

snatchal Member

I'm having the same problems here with where to put any more snow. I told some accounts after the last storm that we need to get a loader to move back banks. They don't want to spend the money. Weatherman is calling for another 8" by tomorrow. It looks like I'm going to end up with some very narrow roads and much smaller parking lots. :eek:
  10. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Couldnt be penetrated by a V-plow?I'd be so frustrated id break my truck trying to plow in.Still good to know that some are makin money.:waving:
  11. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

LOL yea it's 45 today... The snow is over... suxs
  12. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

sounds like a good site to "save" them money by charging for snow fencing.

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

ECS I am sure that I speak for everyone here. We would love to see some pictures of the situations that you have to deal with up there.

We are waiting patiently down here. :)
  14. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

This is my third year plowing in the Snowbelt and this month has been the worst for blowing. The country and edge of town driveways are full. I spent an extra 20 Min's on one today. When I left the lane way was a good 10ft wider. It looked so good I shoulda took a pic.

The medical center I plow has an open field on its west side. I take 2 full passes on the lawn and still the drifts can reach 4ft in a night. We had so much snow at this factory we plow that we had to have a dozer come in to push the pile back. We run an 8ft dual auger blower to clear the banks and piles.
  15. ECS

ECS Senior Member

A Cat 936 went there today and it took him an hour to widen and push it back for me. I have enough room in that drive to go another 19 events now.

Here are a couple of pictures taken on 1/31/06 at another property. Since then, we have had to have the roof cleared of snow on the north side as there was 6 feet of snow on it. They now have anywhere from 4-9 feet of snow in the back yard.

16. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

So that's what snow looks like? I had almost forgotten. My wife loved that house, btw. Thanks for the pics.
  17. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

we've got about that much snow.

on the flats here, you could only see the top wire of a bobwire fence. for sure i have accounts with 6 feet as an average, but they are up on teh mountain.

the guys with pickup plows gave up here this year. i had a LOT of competitors tell my cusotomers a skid steer wasn't gonna cut it, you had to have a loader.

turns out they were wrong. the skid did just fine for 99 percent of it.
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

ECS, how much snow have you had this year so far?

I was out there in '97, I think, about this time, had a butt load of snow on the ground then, too. -25* to -30* every morning. It was beautiful. I really wanted to get one of those good dumpings when we were there, but it didn't happen. Went snowmobiling, skiing and snowshoeing. Some of the valley's had upwards of 8' on the ground that year. Absolutely gorgeous country.

Still can't talk my wife into moving. :cry:
  19. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

Hey there everyone just checking in. It was a good year to sell all my plwing stuff. We have had one storm where we got 4 inches that it is. It has been bare ground all year but who cares. I just got back from Mexico, went there for three weeks (first time ever in winter). Wife is very happy I'm home and getting used to sleeping all night.

Hats off to all of you still out there. Keep your head up, plow down and bank accounts full.