1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 or 3/8 Cutting Edge?

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by Bumpkis, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Bumpkis

Bumpkis Junior Member

I broke my cutting edge the other night. When I talked to the shop I use they offered to give me a 1/2" thick edge. The Curtis edge is 3/8" thick. Should I replace it to match the original 3/8" edge or go with the 1/2"? Are there any cons to going to the 1/2"?

P1090567.JPG

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

How the heck did you break it?

3. Bumpkis

Bumpkis Junior Member

Manhole cover of some sort. I didn't notice until the next day. I hit a couple through out the night but one really shook the truck even more than usual. I would assume that was the winner.

4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Bummer. Im not sure what advice to give ya. I have the 3/8's one but I am just a driveway guy. I would say maybe try the 1/2 in one if its available. Cant hurt.

5. Bumpkis

Bumpkis Junior Member

Thanks, I am going to move the post to the repair section where I think I was supposed to have put it.

6. mikefras

mikefras Member

My son did the same thing last year, I welded multiple passes with the welder and ground it down smooth. It still looks good. He is going to keep plowing with it until it wears out. Time will tell I guess

7. VEGGIEPLOW

VEGGIEPLOW Member

go with a 7inch wide by 1/2inch thick piece of T1 steel (bulldozer steel).. if your blade is a 7.5 the edge will weigh 90lbs.... i just bought and did this to my 7.5 snopro 3000... and btw, save yourself some money and dont have them punch the holes... tourch them out yourself.... take off the old blade, vice gripe the new blade up at the 3.5 inch (middle) take your curtis touch up paint can and spray where the holes are... take it off, and tourch the new holes, and grind clean... replace with all new grade 8 hardware.... you can flip the blade to use the upper portion when the lower portion is ground down.....do this, believe me... i found out the hard way the first time when i sent my local steel yard my old cutting edge to use as a template.. they measured, and boy they got it WRONG!! everyone knows that a template is used to lay over or 'mirror' the other.. not those guys

8. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

1/2 bigger is always better thats all i can say ussmileyflag