1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2 chevy4x4 for snowplowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fa fa flo hite, Jul 16, 2004.

1. fa fa flo hite

fa fa flo hite Junior Member
    from ohio

im thinking of using my truck for snowplowing this year,it would be my first.how long before i get the hang of it and will my 1/2 ton 5.3 v8 handle about 37 residential.i guess i want towestern plow probably7.5ft
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

To get the basics - about 15 minutes. To be proficient, probably by the end of next winter with 37 residentials. If your 1/2 is in good mechanical shape to begin with, it'll handle a 7.5'. Western is a good choice.
  3. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

I had two gmc 1/2 tons ext. cab z71's that I plowed with both hanging regular duty fisher 7.5' and they handled the plow and the heavy wet snow pushing like nothing. So you'll be fine. As for the drives once you plow a few 6" storms you'll find your groove and will be blowing them out in no time.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i use a 1/2 ton with a 6.5 bad choice for me should have a 7ft but it runs with the best of them
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

The truck will be fine, i plow exactly 37 drives with my F-150. Mick is right about learning to plow, 15 minuites you know how to do it however I learned more than ever last season which was my first full season plowing. Once you have your first season under your belt it comes easy.