1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1/2, 5/8, or 3/4 inch steel for cutting edge.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by White Gardens, Oct 10, 2009.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I have an old school Meyer Diamond plow with hydro under the hood, and the old style diamond Torsion springs.

On the plow now is a one piece cutting edge. The Meyer repair books state that the cutting edge is actually 3 pieces. I'm wary of using a three piece as I like the idea of the extra strength on the trip edge.

So, mechanic neighbor can drill the holes needed in some metal stock, so I might make my own.

My question is, would I get a better or worse scrape if I go with thicker steel ??

2. White Gardens

Anyone have any insight ??
  3. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

most heavy duty pickup plows run 5/8 one piece cutting edges. 3/4 might be alittle heavy but its going on a 1 ton so u could get away with it. 5/8 or 3/4 will be fine. also the heavier cutting edges scrape better.
  4. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I'd go either 1/2 or 5/8. Once the edge wears in, it will scrape pretty much the same with either. At least that's been my experience. A heavier plow does tend to scrape better, but that shouldn't be any problem for you. As I recall, those Diamond blades were heavy son-of-a-guns.

If you have a steel supplier or fab shop around, might be better to let them do the holes. Your neighbor will be cursing you after drilling all the mounting holes, especially if you go with 3/4 :angry:

I'd recommend abrasion-resistant steel also, rather than regular mild steel. It will last longer, which is a good thing with the way steel prices are these days.
  5. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly, you DON'T want to use mild steel, would probably only last a few storms. Cutting edge material is far harder (higher carbon) thus it costs more than mild steel.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

7. White Gardens

Thanks for the replies.

I did talk to a shop and they said they would need to order the steel if I want one made. They were specifically talking about the carbon core type steel for plow blades and it looks like no one has it in stock locally.

Yes, it's a heavy son of a @#$%&. I might go with standard steel at 3/4 inch if I can't get the correct metal to make a one-piece edge. I do around 10 residentials and one lot, so I'm not worried about wearing it down quickly.

Right now it looks like there is only a 3 piece cutting edge available for this plow. Does anyone know if there is a company that makes a one piece edge for this plow??