1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1-2-2010 plowing video!

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by plowmaster07, Jan 9, 2010.

1. plowmaster07

plowmaster07 Senior Member

Hi there guys and gals! So I've been plowing for about 3 years now, but these are the first videos that I have taken. It was about 6" of the light and fluffy stuff :) . Let me know what you think!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XeQwlU55wWU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XeQwlU55wWU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This one is the first one that I did, I had the camera steadied on the dashboard, so it's a little bumpy.
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jqgcDdlqxic&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jqgcDdlqxic&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Be safe and good luck out there!
    Aaron

Comments and questions are always appreciated.

2. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

That first driveway should have taken 2:00 min not 6:34

On that one, work right to left starting with the back-drag against the steps. Don't stop halfway up the drive and then come back to push further. This only adds time.

Right to left, cleaning everything to your right as you work left. You will be out of there in half the time and you could plow 40 driveways in the time it takes to do 20 that way.

Just trying to help.

3. plowmaster07

Good point there Timmy. Thing is, it was the last one on my route, so I wasn't really worried about if it took me a few minutes extra. But I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind.

Thanks
    Aaron

4. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

On the second one, only backdrag away from the steps 6-8 feet, lift blade while backing at the 8 foot mark. Back up 2 more feet, drop blade and hook it to the right. No need to backdrag it 40 feet then plow it back down there again.

Only a suggestion

and good song buy the way:)

5. plowmaster07

Yet again, another good point. Thanks!

6. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

We will have you a pro in no time. There is a pattern to every driveway. Have a game plan with your first and last pass. Left --> right/ or right <-- left. Snow away from house/building or prevailing wind.

Just think, if you can save just 2 pushes on every one, you can push 5 more with the same time/fuel/energy.

7. plowmaster07

Very true. Comparing from the first storm to the second storm of the season, I at least dropped 2-5 minutes per driveway, (also this time it wasn't wet and heavy), but once you get the cob webs off, and a system down. Then you can really rock.

8. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice videos good chioce in tunes also

9. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

And always push your first pass straitblade. A 8 foot blade clears 8 feet straitblade or 6.8 foot angled.

This is especially helpful on roads or long drives. You can plow it 14" wider with the same effort. Hug the right side straitbladed on the way in, Angled right on your way out.

10. plowmaster07

Thank you!

11. plowmaster07

"Hug the right side straitbladed on the way in, Angled right on your way out."

Which video are you referring too?

12. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

neither really, Just rule of thumb.

Let's say you're going to plow the second one left to right, which is what you did.

You're first pass in on the very left side of driveway (house) would be a straitblade. Then back up, angle right and work all the snow down and to the right. Keeping everything to you're left clean so there is no need to go back.

13. plowmaster07

Yeah it makes sense. That is the biggest pita on my route. Just with the entrance and stuff, not very easy to navigate. I'll take some pics so you can see what I am looking at.

14. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Nice videos. Next time get a video with the camera outside the truck. Good choice in music too.

15. plowmaster07

Thanks, Yeah next time I will try and get different angled shots.