1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$1,000,000 question ??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CHCSnowman, Jul 16, 2007.

1. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

I know you guys hate these kind of questions but let me make myself clear...I dont want to scab anyones work, I am just wondering if purchasing a salt spreader is worth my investment.

I dont book my own work, I subcontact for a landscaping company that takes good care of me and keeps me busy. I run 2 trucks and a 1-2 skids. I have plowed for this company for 3-4 years now.

If I buy a spreader and my own salt, how do most of you guys pay your salt subs? I plan on just contacting the guys I sub for and asking them what they pay, and how much it takes per event.....is this what I should do before I get a spreader? I am not sure whether I should get a spreader that mounts in truck, or one of them bumper mount spreaders. IT will be going on a F-350

I would appreciate any advice you guys could give. If you would rather email me at SSRB87@aol.com, mark the subject Re: Salt.

Thanks,
    Randy

2. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

Man, you all are a helpful bunch, lol.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe no one subs out salting like you are talking.

I would think you should make as much salting as you do plowing, the salt will eat up your equipment as fast as plowing.

Contact your contractor, see how much salting they have for you and whether it's worth a v-box or not, whether you're going to use bulk or bagged, etc. If you're going through more than a couple tons a night, I don't think a tailgate type would make sense.

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We pay our salting subs about 30-35 dollars an hour more that just a plowing sub, this number is variable for a number of reasons, such as how badly we need another salter in a given region, how large the salter, or any other requirements. Also we supply our subs with salt, partially since we use magic treated salt, partially so we aren't getting over billed by subs, honestly or not.

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I would do it for a set fee. Same as the plowing. I handle some accounts for a good size contractor. Some accounts I do seasonal for them others are per push/salt. Works out great, I get what I need from them and it works out perfect with my stuff . Its all zero tolerence and I manage the accounts, no second guessing. Beats the snot out of hourly anyday in my book.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have a guy that subs for us for salting only, there is no plow on his truck and we pay him $50/ton to spread it. To me if you are going to plow and salt you should get alot more hours, if they call you in on salt only storms. If that is the case you can use the same hourly rate for plowing and salting.

7. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Best thing to do is approach your contractor straight forward and tell him you are considering this purchase. Then see how he reacts. If he is excited to hear this, then find out what he is willing to pay. We have 4 spreaders and handle most of this in house. However, as we have grown, I am finding the necessity to sub out some salting. This is good for the sub. You can make easier money salting, although it is harder on equip. Just approach him straight up and see if it is worth your investment. You are the one that has a working relationship with the contractor, so you have a better idea of what reaction to expect than we do. Good luck.

8. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Why wouldnt you just get your own accounts? personally thats what I would do and bye the way salting is where the $$$$$ is dont let anyone tell otherwise

9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

CHC, talk to your boy that you contract for. He might pay you $10 and hour or $100. If you like working for him, and he takes care of you, find out what his needs are and what its worth to him. If you want to go the mathematical way, Depreciate the cost over 4 years, divide that by 6 months of snow income, or less (depending on how much it snows there). Figure your maintenance, and cost of salt. Multiply that times 3, thats going to be your gross sales, and redevide that number by the number of months you have to make that money in and that should give you a good idea if its a good investment.....and none of this includes money for the truck that its going to go on, but it doesnt sound like you are going to buy a dedicated sand/salt truck so you will be alright