1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

09 Ram 1500, do U think I will have a problem with this plow

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BlueWing, Mar 12, 2011.

1. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

I am getting a Western plow for this truck. Western says you can only mount a HTS which weights 412lb on a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. The plow I want to mount is a Western MidWeight Poly which weights 532. Which is 120lbs more.
    I looked a BOSS and they say you can mount a 480lb plow on my truck.
    I have a Western MidWeight poly mounted on a Chevy 2008 1500 quad cab with NO problems.
    I talked to three Western Dealers. Two of them said it would not be a problem. The other one said it would NOT work and something will break on my truck.
    What do you guys think?
    Personally I do not think 120 lbs is going to be a big problem as long as I carry weight in the very back of the bed on the truck, 200lbs. Which I always do in my other truck.
    I will NOT mount a HTS on my truck because I do NOT like the way the plow is only supported with one leg when it is off the truck.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I am not an expert but no I do not think you will have a problem. If I were you I would throw about 400 lbs of sand in the bed, against the tailgate. Maybe a little more even.

3. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

THANKS, that is just what I was thinking. I don't leave any of my plows on my unless the trucks are just going to be sitting.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Youre welcome

5. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

The 1000lb pre DD Blizzard 810s and 8611s were only one leg also, just saying. The 1 leg works fine on my HT.

6. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

I use a 95 dodge 1500 4x4 v8 I put a meyer lot pro 7.6 steel with multi wings I did have to upgrade my coil springs to 2500 v10 springs

7. Joneso8

Joneso8 Member

The midweight will be fine on your truck. A set of timbrens in the front would help hold that extra 120.

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I had a Fisher 7 1/2' HD/RD on my 03 Dakota QuadCab that was 700lbs I think. It was a MM1.