1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

09 F250 install

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wtfgreen, Dec 4, 2009.

1. wtfgreen

wtfgreen Junior Member

I'm having my first plow installed 11/9, and want to make sure I'm getting it installed properly. Truck has the snow plow prep package, and is a 5.4.

1) They say they have to drill one hole in the firewall for wiring - is this typical?

2) The rubber air damn under the bumper will need to be notched or taken off - is this typical? My concern with this is warranty, because I can see a dealer saying that it affected air flow over cooling components.

3) Connection point will be mounted behind the bumper - is this typical? I see on here that a number of people have them mounted near one of the tow hooks; is there a mount I can buy for this, or will behind the bumper work ok?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Thanks for the help
  2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

1) Yes typical unless they hijack another hole.

2) Good luck with any warranty claim anyways when you put a plow on the truck it becomes a nightmare of arguments.

3)Yes, you can just remove one of the tow hooks and put the connections on a bracket in its place.
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

There is an area where if you have a stick shift the linkage goes through on the fire wall, thats where Ive seen every wire ran go through, so no new holes needed.

Yes the plastic air damn might need to come off, mine did on my 06.

As far as warranty, there should be no problems through Ford, (if you have the plow prep package) thats the first thing I checked when I bought mine in 06.

Sounds like your going to be a "nervous nelly" about the install,(understandable) best advice drop it off and wait for the call that its done, dont bug them. Just make sure your taking it to a reputable installer and you'll be fine.

As far as a location for mounting the connections, just ask. Make sure its where you can reach easy and its out of the way of areas where snow builds up etc.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

What these guys said goes. Don't worry about it. I installed my plow myself on my 08 and recall using an existing hole (grommeted) in the firewall. I can check today where I put it. If it's a good installer they will use any possibly available hole before they decide to drill. But if they do drill it's not going to hurt anything, as long as they use a grommet in the new hole.
    The air dam is really for helping air flow around the truck and fuel economy. Doesn't have anything to do with the cooling of engine parts.
    The plugs I just have at my tow hook locations. They poke through the bumper and I just hook/wrap them into the hooks. Easily accessible and they don't dangle.
    Don't worry your baby will be fine.
  5. wtfgreen

wtfgreen Junior Member

Thanks guys!!