1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

09 F250...Chip or No Chip??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by winfield.acres, Mar 6, 2013.

1. winfield.acres

winfield.acres Junior Member

I have a 09 F250 with the 5.4 motor..I love the truck just wish it had a little more power for pulling or plowing. I know nothing about chips and have never used one. Any suggestions on brands or to even use one on this truck?

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Sell it and buy a diesel.

Chip this, chip that - why screw with a warrenty and why push stock parts closer to the edge. Stuff isn't made to last forever anymore.

3. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Talk to Mike at 5 star tuning. He can set you up with a tune to give you a little more jam. Really woke my V10 up.

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

On a gas truck the most you'll feel will be in the upper RPM range, most of the difference will be the trans tuning. If you run the performance tunes you'll need to run Premium and those are the tunes you'll feel the most improvement.

Gas trucks don't benefit nearly as much as a diesel unfortuntely.

5. winfield.acres

Trust me if i had the money and my wife wouldn't kill me I'd trade for the diesel. Where is 5 Star Tuning located?

6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Just get the same color truck, she'll never know.

I once hid a new truck from my wife for over a month - my brother in law even worked here and he didn't notice it.

If she does notice, you married to smart.prsport

7. winfield.acres

That's not a bad idea..see I need here to sign to sell. But no ideas on a chip anyone?

8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

my 5.4 got a decent power boost with air filter intake upgrade, headers and high plow exhaust parts. feels much better plowing and especially on the highway.

9. winfield.acres

Like a K&N filter? All new headers? And what Tyler exhaust?

10. Midwest BuildIt Inc

i have a cheapo ebay intake. gibson stainless headers, high flow converter and borla muffler.

11. winfield.acres

Did you put it all on yourself?

12. Midwest BuildIt Inc

everything but the headers, i didnt have any time and the manifolds were leaking. a friend did them for $300.

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Save your money....

14. winfield.acres

What do you mean?

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Exactly what that means. Diesels benefit (power wise) from programmers a lot more than gassers. Maybe you should consider swapping out axle gears if this truck is more of a dedicated tow and plow rig.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013