1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

09 Chevy 1500..trans heating up

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JimRoss, Jan 3, 2011.

1. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

09 Chevy 1500 w/ Boss 7.5 standard poly.
    While running down the road, doing 40mph, I am reaching trans temps of 195F. Without plow, it runs 125F. The problem as I see it, is the trans cooler is directly below the chevy bowtie, and the plow pump housing is blocking most of the air in that area. There is also an air duct cutout in the bumper, below the grill, that has a shield that forces air up into the trans cooler. That airduct is almost completely blocked by the pump housing as well:

The trans cooler is factory installed and looks as if it bolts to the bottom of the hood latch bracket somehow ( just looking at it from above ). So I'm not sure if I could relocate it easily or not. The way the grill chrome bar runs across the middle, I am thinking maybe an after market grill thats plain grill mesh, might help.

Anyone else in a newer 1500, having simular problems?
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

That's not too hot. I plow at a bit over 200* all the time.
  3. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

But I havent plowed with it yet. I figured it would get hotter, just while plowing. I need to know the trans cooler will cool things down if I plow out a couple neighbors/family. I tow a 5000#, 24ft camper and never seen anything above 175F. Just makes me nervous.

I tried to run the freeway with it, going 55mph, and it reached 205F. Not that I plan on running much with the blade on, but I wanted to know what it would do if I did.
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

the factory hard lines are pre bent and cliped in to the cooler. so it wont move easy.

best to find a way to make a air scoop for the plow headgear to help direct air to it.

and here is a cool tranny fluid chart for those who think runnin hot is good.