1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

09 Chev wiring through fire wall

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by djagusch, Nov 25, 2009.

1. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I just bought a 09 Chev Reg Cab 2500HD w/6.0 auto. Where is everyone running wires to the inside of the cab? My Superduty's in the past had a plug that could be removed for wires but could not find one on the Chev. Are guys drilling through the firewall? If so where are you guys finding works well? Any pics? Just hate drilling a hole in a new truck.

Thanks

2. jscan

jscan Junior Member

do u have the snow plow prep pkg.? option VYU, this option has a pre drilled hole with a rubber cover in the firewall for the plow wiring.

3. djagusch

from mn

It says Snow Plow Prep Package on the window sticker but not those letters. It also had the HD trailering Equipment pkg.

Where is the factory hole located? I'm looking around the driver side from the brake pedal to the fender.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  4. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

There has to be a hole since there's factory wiring that goes thru. It's usually up and left of the brake pedal arm. Get under there and you'll see it.

5. jscan

jscan Junior Member

there should be a seperate hole with a rubber grommet, that is specifically for the snow plow pkg. the installer supposed to cut a hole in the rubber and slide the plow wiring thru it...look around the left side of the firewall. also look at your color brochure that the dealers have for the your 09 truck and look for the options page and it will explain what the prep package has...it should say that there is a precut hole....i know the 08 brochure says it so i cant see why they would change that.

6. djagusch

from mn

I saw the main wiring harness hole that you are talking about. Looks like there could be room in there but it is sealed up pretty well and rather stay away from disturbing it for warranty reasons.

If I knew where the factory hole is normally put I would just drill there.

Also where are people getting the accessory power. I didn't see any extra wires they put in there to hook too.

7. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Glovebox would have the RPO codes. Code VYU on that list is plow prep.

8. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I have the 07 NBS with the Plow Prep, and the hole was not there, just a dimpple for it to be cut. I am very dissapointed in what GM did with what they call a W/T. It has no provisions for extra electrical, they made everything very hard.

9. djagusch

from mn

Yep I checked it has it. Do you have one? If so where is the hole?

10. djagusch

from mn

I don't even see a dimple, where was it located about. I would say that Ford makes it easier to do this stuff.

11. djagusch

from mn

Well I went to the gm upfitter site and found the whole. The strange thing is that a factory wire is going through it. Maybe for the factory brake controller? Also found out on the upfitter site that if you buy a connector (20791502) you can have a accessory wire, and 2 battery feeds in the interior power block without splicing.

12. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I think i may have called on that part number, or another one. The part they said was over 100 dollars, maybe they had wrong part or i did, if you call let me know how much it may cost. I talked to many people at my chevy dealer, and no one know anything about these so called work trucks.:dizzy:

13. djagusch

from mn

It's $12 for the part. But no one had them in stock so I paid to overnight it for an extra $10. You will need to pin the 7th slot for the 10amp key on pwr. It's on page 669 of 670 of the electrical upfitter pdf.

14. pensty

pensty Junior Member

For what it's worth, I recently installed a new Fisher rig on my 08 2500HD and used the existing hole (occupied by factory wiring) and grommet that is above and to the left of the brake pedal. There was plenty of room for the wires I needed to pass and when I was done, a little dab of silicone sealed the deal. My truck does not have the plow prep and I didn't feel cutting a new holewas necessary.

Good luck with your install and have a great season.

15. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

The gmt-800s had a hole w/grommet in the 7 oclock position under the master cyl area.
    My 07 gmt-900 WITH VYU plow prep didn't have a pre-drilled hole.
    My installer drilled a new one in that area.