1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

09 6.4 question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SteveR, Jan 1, 2013.

1. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I have an 09 F550 6.4. I was told that cutting the sides of the air box will increase the fuel economy a ton. any input???

2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Although it might increase fuel economy, if you plow or drive in any kind of wind blown snow, your air filter is going to feeze up and choke the engine out pretty quickly. I'd pass on using the Sawzall here.

3. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Thanks for your advise didnt think of that!!

4. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

DPF delete and an H&S tuner or a Spartan tuner will raise fuel economy substantialy. some have claimed 20+mpg. You dont even need to run a performance tune....just need it to fix the CEL that will illuminate. Once the DPF is gone, you wont be burning extra fuel nor will you be losing fuel into your oil pan.

5. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Highly recommend doing the DPF delete w/spartan tune. More power, & more MPG...
    I did a CAT/DPF delete on my 08' and run the 210hp tow tune. Next on my list this spring is EGR delete and a better air filter.

6. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

AMEN!!! Best Thing I Ever Did!

7. Mid-Ohio Scaper

8. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

I know H&S and I think but am not sure on spartan no longer have emissions delete tunes. you can thank those who reelected our president and his EPA thugs

9. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Your post scared the sh*t out of me!!!! :eek::eek:
    I'm checking this on out over at Spartan.... Everything looks to be available on their website, yet they have this "Our products are not for sale or use on any pollution controlled vehicle in the United States" posted..... I need more clarity from Spartan on what's going on....
    I will be livid if this is no longer available! :realmad:

10. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

its called a CAI (cold air intake ) modificatiion . Yes it will along with a open straight Magnaflo ss exhaust and an SCT tuner with custom tunes and FICM (Fuel Injector Control Module ) mod.

congrats ! you have now successfully voided your waranty. you have to break some eggs to make an ommlette.:mechanic:

Be prepared for neck snapping torque and big HP.

Shop the best for tunes
    . http://innovativediesel.com/c-75806-diesel-products-ford-6-4l-powerstroke-2008-2010.html

11. Spool it up

true , you must keep an eye on that issue . its called a Zoodad . :mechanic:

12. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Do the deletes void the warranty??

13. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Oh yeah!!! Depending on where you're at mileage wise you might want to hold off on the deletes. I didn't delete and tune mine till after I hit the 100K mark.... Just in case.. Thumbs Up

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Tune and delete the truck.

FloPro exhaust, Spartan tunes (210 is really all you need). The S&B intakes are pretty nice and flow significantly better then factory.

Even if you don't want to tune and delete it right now I'd buy the exhaust and tunes before their impossible to get. Once you do it you'll be glad you did and it will be a totally different truck.

Also the sooner you can get the emissions crap off your truck the longer it should last. Nothing about the regen system is good for the motor, just shortening life day by day.

15. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Literally any modification you make to your truck might void the warranty. The first person who gets to make that call is your dealer Service Manager. Generally speaking, they'll look the other way on minor suff like aftermarket air filters and Cold Air Intake kits. (Then again, I know of one guy who's warranty was voided by a K&N filter.)

Remember, manufacturers are always trying to find way to reduce warranty costs. If they can find a reason to void your warraty - to avoid a huge warranty bill - they sometimes will. I had my dealer (whom I have a geat relationship with) inform me that my Purolator Pure One oil filter might be grounds for Ford to void my warranty if I should ever have an oil related problem. So it's back to the OEM Ford filters until my warranty expires - as much as I still believe the Purolators are doing a better job.

Where it gets much more delicate is any modification that affects emissions. Since the manufacturers are under so much government scrutiny there, they tend to be pretty strict here. I guess the operative phrase with manufacturers warrantys and things that might void them is "So kid, are you feeling lucky?" It really does come down to that.

16. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

In my shop we look the other way UNLESS failure is directly related to modifications.

17. Spool it up

no diesel should be bogged down with all those tree hugger epa features . they need to breathe as much air as possible .

good man , :mechanic:

18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I've had two vehicles have engine replacements denied under warranty due to an aftermarket oil filter being used. Vehicles had less than 30,000 miles on them and had every PM done per the manual - this is in my full time job/fleet manager.

19. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

If it wasn't for the problems that the dpf causes, i'd probably hardly ever see 6.4's. the new 6.7 has been pretty evasive...nothing major yet through my shop. The 6.4 must've been a learning curve at owners expense!

20. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Aftermarket oil filters are JUNK!! People pinch pennies on filters until the filter falls apart and gets sucked through the engine. Or they collapse and don't filter at all.
    This is not somewhere you want to skimp on price.